Separable equations (but more like integration questions)

In summary, the conversation is about solving an initial-value problem in differential equations using the separable equations method. The person is struggling with integrating certain trigonometric functions and is seeking help with the problem. They are advised to use trig identities to solve the integrals.
Beez
Hi, I have just started my differential equations class. To solve the initial-value problem, 8cos^2ydx + csc^2xdy = 0 (initial condition: y(pai/12) = (pai/4) )using separable equations method, I have to change the equation to
8/csc^2dx + 1/cos^2ydy (Am I right so far?)

My problem is I don't know (or remember) how to integrate neither 8/csc^2dx nor 1/cos^2y. Am I suppose to do know how to calculate if I have finished Calculus II? I reviewed Trig. and Calculus textbooks to figure out how to calculate them but so far could not find even a similar problem.

I also have no idea how to integrate the followings:

a. x/secx dx
b. 1/cot^2x dx
c. 1/cos3y dx
d. 1/sec^3 10x dx

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one, you want to put the x's on one side and the y's on the other. To integrate sin^2 and secant squared you'll want to use some trig identities.

[tex] \cos^2(x) = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2x)) [/tex]. Others can be found http://www.math2.org/math/trig/identities.htm" .

a. xcosx dx, try parts.
b. tan^2x, translate to secant.
c. sec^3, translate sec^2 to tan^2+1
d. trig identities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

Thank you very much for the quick response.
I will try to solve the problems with the reference you provided.

Post again if you want a more thorough explanation.

1. What are separable equations?

Separable equations are differential equations that can be separated into two functions, one involving only the dependent variable and the other involving only the independent variable. This allows for easier integration and solving of the equation.

2. How do I know if an equation is separable?

An equation is separable if it can be written in the form of dy/dx = g(x)h(y), where g(x) is a function of x and h(y) is a function of y.

3. What is the process for solving separable equations?

The process for solving separable equations involves separating the variables, integrating both sides, and then solving for the dependent variable. This can be done by multiplying both sides by dx and dividing by the function g(y), then integrating both sides with respect to x.

4. Can separable equations be solved using any integration method?

Yes, separable equations can be solved using any integration method, such as substitution, integration by parts, or the use of trigonometric identities. The method used will depend on the specific equation and the variables involved.

5. Are there any limitations to using separable equations to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using separable equations. They can only be used for first-order differential equations and may not work for more complex equations. Additionally, some separable equations may not have closed-form solutions and may require numerical methods for solving.