1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence of functions, uniform convergence

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    {f_n} is a sequence of continuous functions on E=[a,b] that converges uniformly on E. for each x in E, set g(x)=sup{f_n(x)}. Prove that g is continuous on E

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got an idea to prove it:
    Let e>0 be given, there is a N such that
    |f_n(x)-f(x)|<e
    for all n>N and all x in E.
    Let K_n={x|f_n(x)>=e+f(x)}, n=1,2,3....,N.
    each K_n is closed since f_n is continuous.
    Let [tex]A=\cup^{N}_{1} K_{i}[/tex] then A is closed.
    g(x) is continuous on A (since there are only N functions to deal with. And I find it tedious to prove?)
    Let B=E-A.
    Then f(x)<=g(x)<f(x)+e, for any x in B.
    let p be an interior point in B.
    if g(p)=f_k(p), for some k>N.
    since f_k(p) is continuous, there is a neighborhood of p such that if q is in it and also in B.
    |f_k(p)-f_k(q)|<e
    then,
    |g(p)-g(q)|<=|f_k(p)-f_k(q)|+|f_k(q)-g(q)|<=e+|f_k(q)-f(q)|+|f(q)-g(q)|<=e+e+e=3e.
    hence g(x) is continuous at p.
    if g(p)=f(p).
    |g(p)-g(q)|<=|f(p)-f(q)|+|f(q)-g(q)|=2e, which implies
    g(x) is continuous at p.
    It is analogous to say that g(x) is continuous if p is the boundary point of B.

It seems okay. But I'm not satisfied with it, it looks so lenthy and not well organized and I believe there is some other proof much better than this one. Any hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you quite have it down.

Imagine if your functions were just fk(x) = 1-1/k on the whole interval. Then fk converges to 1 uniformly, and clearly A is empty as fn < f everywhere for all n. Then B is the whole interval, yet g(x) =/= fk(x) for any x,k combination. I think this is fixed by a better definition of Kn (probably what you wrote isn't what you really intended)

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    I think the case that g(x)=f(x) is included in the last few lines...check it and tell me if anything goes wrong.Thanks!

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops.... I missed the word 'if'. Pretty important

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?