Proving the Convergence of a Recursive Sequence

In summary, the homework statement implies that if a_k<3, then a_{k+1}<3. This allows you to re-use (\star) over and over, which in turn proves the validity of induction.
Linday12

Homework Statement

Let a_n be defined recursively by
[tex]a_{1}[/tex]=1, [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex]=sqrt(6+[tex]a_{n}[/tex]) (n=1,2,3,...).
Show that lim n->infinity [tex]a_{n}[/tex] exists and find its value

The Attempt at a Solution

Observe that [tex]a_{2}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{6+1}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{7}[/tex] > [tex]a_{1}[/tex]. If [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex] > [tex]a_{k}[/tex], then [tex]a_{k+2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{6+a_{k+1}}[/tex] > [tex]\sqrt{6+a_k}[/tex] = [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex], so {[tex]a_{n}[/tex]} is increasing by induction. I get that part, its the next part I'm a little confused about:

Now, observe that [tex]a_{1}[/tex]=1 < 3. If [tex]a_{k}[/tex] < 3, then [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{6+a_k}[/tex] < [tex]\sqrt{6+3}[/tex], so [tex]a_{n}[/tex] < 3 for every n by induction. How does this show that for all n, the value will be less than 3? Sorry, I'm not really sure how it shows that if you keep going on in the sequence it won't go past 3 eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Linday12! :wink:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Linday12 said:
Now, observe that [tex]a_{1}[/tex]=1 < 3. If [tex]a_{k}[/tex] < 3, then [tex]a_{k+1}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{6+a_k}[/tex] < [tex]\sqrt{6+3}[/tex], so [tex]a_{n}[/tex] < 3 for every n by induction. How does this show that for all n, the value will be less than 3? Sorry, I'm not really sure how it shows that if you keep going on in the sequence it won't go past 3 eventually.

But you've proved it!

If an < 3, then an+1 < 3 …

what is worrying you about that? :smile:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm just not seeing how it shows that. I've memorized it and am not really worried about getting it wrong, but it's really not helpful if I don't understand that it keeps under the limit. I guess my induction skills are lacking.

Ok, so if ak < 3, then ak+1 = [tex]\sqrt{6+a_{k}}[/tex] < [tex]\sqrt{6+3}[/tex], so an < 3 for every n by induction.

What I'm not seeing is how this shows that it is below 3 for n. For example, as you keep going up to something like a100, how do you know that it won't add up to enough to push over 3. My (wrongful) reasoning is that if you keep adding more and more, it finally accumulates enough to surpass 3 and go to infinity. I can't seem to see how it approaches the limit. :frown:

Linday12 said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm just not seeing how it shows that. I've memorized it and am not really worried about getting it wrong, but it's really not helpful if I don't understand that it keeps under the limit. I guess my induction skills are lacking.

Ok, so if ak < 3, then ak+1 = [tex]\sqrt{6+a_{k}}[/tex] < [tex]\sqrt{6+3}[/tex], so an < 3 for every n by induction.

What I'm not seeing is how this shows that it is below 3 for n. For example, as you keep going up to something like a100, how do you know that it won't add up to enough to push over 3. My (wrongful) reasoning is that if you keep adding more and more, it finally accumulates enough to surpass 3 and go to infinity. I can't seem to see how it approaches the limit. :frown:

What you have just proved is: [itex](\star)[/itex] the validity of the statement "[itex]a_k<3[/itex]" implies the validity of the statement "[itex]a_{k+1}<3[/itex]." What this allows you to do is essentially re-use [itex](\star)[/itex] over and over. We know that [itex]a_1<3[/itex]. By [itex](\star)[/itex], the validity of [itex]a_1 < 3[/itex] implies the validity of [itex]a_2 < 3[/itex]. But, again by [itex](\star)[/itex], the validity of [itex]a_2<3[/itex] implies the validity of [itex]a_3<3[/itex] and so on.

In induction proofs, what you're proving is that the validity of the k-th case implies the validity of the (k+1)-th case. Along with the base case, this allows you to conclude the statement is true for all values of k.

Hi Linday12! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Linday12 said:
My (wrongful) reasoning is that if you keep adding more and more, it finally accumulates enough to surpass 3 and go to infinity.

Nothing is accumulating, there's no sum, each an is on its own.
… I guess my induction skills are lacking. …

Yes, you need to convince yourself that induction is valid.

Go over what rs1n :smile: has said, and try to convince yourself that it makes sense (it does! :biggrin:).

Then try to apply it in other examples (such as an greater than 3 in this case). :smile:

Thank you both very much! Those two posts cleared up my problems with it. I was thinking of it in an accumulating way :uhh: (I have no idea why, series and sequence mix up I guess :blushing:), so now it makes sense.

:cool: Thanks again!

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

In order to find the next term in a sequence, you need to identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to calculate the next term.

3. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about all positive integers. It involves showing that a statement is true for the first positive integer, and then showing that if it is true for any positive integer, it is also true for the next positive integer.

4. How is mathematical induction used in sequences?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove statements about sequences, such as showing that a certain pattern will continue infinitely or that a certain property holds true for all terms in the sequence.

5. What are some real-world applications of sequences and induction?

Sequences and induction have many real-world applications, such as in computer programming, where sequences are used to generate patterns or perform repetitive tasks. They are also used in financial modeling and predicting stock prices. In addition, induction is used in mathematical proofs and in the study of algorithms and complexity theory.