Convergence of Series: Finding x for Convergence | Homework Statement

In summary, the topic of convergence of series focuses on determining the value of x for which a given series will converge. This is typically done by examining the behavior of the series as x approaches different values, and using various convergence tests to determine if the series converges or diverges. The homework statement for this topic likely involves providing a series and asking for the value of x for which it converges, or asking for a proof of convergence for a particular series.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

For which number x does the following series converge:
http://puu.sh/lp50I/3de017ea9f.png

Homework Equations

abs(r) is less than 1 then it is convergent. r is what's inside the brackets to the power of n

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the question by using the stuff in relevant equations above eventually leading to a quadratic which I solved and got two answers x is 1 and x is 3. However the solutions given to us by our instructor says
http://puu.sh/lp5be/208cccba8f.png
Why is my answer not the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

For which number x does the following series converge:
http://puu.sh/lp50I/3de017ea9f.png

Homework Equations

abs(r) is less than 1 then it is convergent. r is what's inside the brackets to the power of n

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the question by using the stuff in relevant equations above eventually leading to a quadratic which I solved and got two answers x is 1 and x is 3. However the solutions given to us by our instructor says
http://puu.sh/lp5be/208cccba8f.png
Why is my answer not the same
You haven't shown your work, so how can we tell? How did you solve$$
\left |\frac x {3-2x}\right | < 1\text{ ?}$$

Hi Diamond:

You made a mistake interpreting the absolute value.
abs(a/b) < 1​
means
abs(a) < abs(b) and
abs(a) < -abs(b) and
-abs(a) < abs(b) and
-abs(a) < -abs(b).​

Regards,
Buzz

LCKurtz said:
You haven't shown your work, so how can we tell? How did you solve$$
\left |\frac x {3-2x}\right | < 1\text{ ?}$$

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Diamond:

You made a mistake interpreting the absolute value.
abs(a/b) < 1​
means
abs(a) < abs(b) and
abs(a) < -abs(b) and
-abs(a) < abs(b) and
-abs(a) < -abs(b).​

Regards,
Buzz

Sorry about that. Here's my working:
http://puu.sh/lpa5y/d2810ed6ed.jpg

Multiply that 4th line up by -1 and divide by 3 to get ##x^2-4x+3>0##, or ##(x-3)(x-1)>0##. Look at the signs of the factors to see where the product is positive. Simplifying things lessens chances for errors.

LCKurtz said:
Multiply that 4th line up by -1 and divide by 3 to get ##x^2-4x+3>0##, or ##(x-3)(x-1)>0##. Look at the signs of the factors to see where the product is positive. Simplifying things lessens chances for errors.

Don't see how that explains the answer given to me in the solutions including the infinity part?

Hi Diamond:

I think the squaring of the inequality and solving the quadratic makes the problem more complicated than necessary, and easier to make a mistake. I suggest solving each of the 4 simple inequalities I mentioned in my post. Actually, two of the four inequalities are redundant, so you only need to solve to get two different result sets of values of x. The union of the the two sets of x values is the answer you want.

Regards,
Buzz

LCKurtz said:

DiamondV said:
Don't see how that explains the answer given to me in the solutions including the infinity part?

The ##x## values that work in that inequality are the ##x## values that solve your original problem. Each factor is either positive or negative, depending on the value of ##x##. One factor changes sign when ##x=3## and the other at ##x = 1## (which are the values you found). Draw a number line and mark 1 and 3 on it. Those two points are where the product is ##0##. Everywhere else the factors are either + or -. Look at the signs of the factors on the three intervals. If you find ##-\cdot -## or ##+\cdot +## you know the product is positive on that interval.

LCKurtz said:
The ##x## values that work in that inequality are the ##x## values that solve your original problem. Each factor is either positive or negative, depending on the value of ##x##. One factor changes sign when ##x=3## and the other at ##x = 1## (which are the values you found). Draw a number line and mark 1 and 3 on it. Those two points are where the product is ##0##. Everywhere else the factors are either + or -. Look at the signs of the factors on the three intervals. If you find ##-\cdot -## or ##+\cdot +## you know the product is positive on that interval.
Yes! This is one of the classic ways to solve such a problem !

1. What is the definition of convergence in a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the terms eventually approach a finite limit or value. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series approaches a particular number as more terms are added.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by finding the limit of the terms as the number of terms approaches infinity. If this limit exists and is a finite number, then the series is said to converge. Alternatively, various tests can be used to determine the convergence of a series, such as the ratio test, comparison test, and integral test.

3. What is the significance of finding x for convergence in a series?

Finding x for convergence in a series is important because it allows us to determine the range of values for which the series will converge. This can help us understand the behavior of the series and make predictions about its behavior for different values of x. It also allows us to determine whether a given series is convergent or divergent.

4. What are some common methods for finding x for convergence in a series?

Some common methods for finding x for convergence in a series include using the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series and using the limit of the terms to determine the convergence of the given series.

5. Are there any general rules for finding x for convergence in a series?

There are no general rules for finding x for convergence in a series, as it depends on the specific series and the method being used. However, it is important to carefully consider the terms in the series and use appropriate tests or techniques to determine the convergence. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of limits and basic algebraic manipulations to simplify the terms in the series.