Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Expansion Newton Dark Matter

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I hope you can help me. I am a physicist but not a researcher and have currently not the time to study many papers about the subject of dark matter. What I would need for deeper thoughts is an expansion in a series of the Newton law for cases where it has been measured that star rotation around a galaxy is in contrast to Newton.

Meaning: There should be something like

F ≈ 1/r^2 + a/r^3 + ...

I understand fully that the answer can't be that simple but please provide me with some information about the measured values and the uncertaincy in those measurements. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
    Jens

PS, I edit this post: It ist not that I want to push a simple MOND hypothesis, I need reliable experimental data. Thanks a lot.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2
    I would like to remove this thread. I did not see the geometry of the galaxies. It is something not to be described in such an easy way. A 1/r^2 rule is only given for a point like mass center. I found out some material, sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook