Exploring the Series Expansion of Coth(pi) Using Fourier Analysis

In summary, the Fourier series expansion of e^x is Sinh(\pi)/\pi(1+\sum 2(-1)^m/(1+n^2) (cos(mx)-n sin(nx)). But this is wrong because of the one out the front - I know that needs to stay there, which means I somehow need to stick a -sinh(pi) into the front of my Fourier series of e^pi. I would say that it would be my term for n= zero, but I already took care of that one, which was sinh(pi)/pi... So, I need to somehow sub in e^-pi for n=0 in order for my equation to
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

show coth([itex]\pi[/itex])=1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

Homework Equations

The Fourier expansion of e^x is
Sinh([itex]\pi[/itex])/[itex]\pi[/itex](1+[itex]\sum[/itex] 2(-1)^m/(1+n^2) (cos(mx)-n sin(nx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I subbed in
Coth(Pi)=1+e^-pi/sinh(pi) =1+1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

But this is wrong because of the one out the front - I know that needs to stay there, which means I somehow need to stick a -sinh(pi) into the front of my Fourier series of e^pi I would say that it would be my term for n= zero, but I already took care of that one, which was sinh(pi)/pi...
Please help - I've spent about fifteen pages on the algebra for this and I'm getting really sick of the stupid question...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ratpigeon said:

Homework Statement

show coth([itex]\pi[/itex])=1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

Homework Equations

Sinh([itex]\pi[/itex])/[itex]\pi[/itex](1+[itex]\sum[/itex] 2(-1)^m/(1+n^2) (cos(mx)-n sin(nx)
You're missing closing parentheses and have two index variables, m and n, so I'm not sure what you meant to write exactly. Did you mean
$$\frac{\sinh \pi}{\pi}\left(1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2(-1)^n}{1+n^2}(\cos nx - n\sin nx)\right)?$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I subbed in
Coth(Pi)=1+e^-pi/sinh(pi) =1+1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

But this is wrong because of the one out the front - I know that needs to stay there, which means I somehow need to stick a -sinh(pi) into the front of my Fourier series of e^pi I would say that it would be my term for n= zero, but I already took care of that one, which was sinh(pi)/pi...
Please help - I've spent about fifteen pages on the algebra for this and I'm getting really sick of the stupid question...
How'd you come up with ##\coth \pi = 1+\frac{e^{-\pi}}{\sinh \pi}##?

Last edited:
Coth([itex]\pi[/itex]) =(e[itex]\pi[/itex]+e-[itex]\pi[/itex])/(e[itex]\pi[/itex]-e-[itex]\pi[/itex])

which equals
1+2e-[itex]\pi[/itex]/(e[itex]\pi[/itex]-e-[itex]\pi[/itex])
which equals
1+2e^pi/2sinh(pi)

Ratpigeon said:

As vela pointed out, this makes no sense. What is the actual Fourier series expansion of [itex]e^x[/itex]?

Last edited:
It's the one that vela used - I usually use n's but the lecturer uses m's so it's a bit messed up, and they are both standing for the same thing. And the e^pi is a typo - I have it right in my working...
I've found another page that uses this as the Fourier expansion of e^x, so I'm fairly sure that it's right (after making all the indeces the same)

Hint: What does your Fourier series converge to when you set ##x=\pi##? Keep in mind there's a discontinuity there.

It'll be... halfway between the limit of the Fourier series at Pi and -pi?
Which means...
1/2(e^pi+e^-pi)=Sn(+/-pi)?

I don't know what you mean by "Sn(+/-pi)", but yeah, it'll be the average.

And that let's me calculate e^pi+e^-pi from my Fourier series at Pi; but how do I get e^pi-e^-pi for the denominator then?

Here's another hint: What's ##\cosh \pi## equal to?

wait, no, I got it. The denominator is 2 sinh(pi) and the numerator is twice the Fourier series at Pi - which is sinH(pi) multiplied by the series I want.
Thanks!
:)

What is the series expansion of Coth(pi)?

The series expansion of Coth(pi) is an infinite sum that represents the value of hyperbolic cotangent of pi. It is written as: Coth(pi) = 1/pi + 2/pi^3 + 17/pi^5 + 62/pi^7 + ...

What is the significance of Coth(pi) in mathematics?

Coth(pi) is used in many mathematical calculations and applications, particularly in areas such as complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. It also has connections to the Riemann zeta function and the Basel problem.

How is the series expansion of Coth(pi) derived?

The series expansion of Coth(pi) can be derived using the Maclaurin series for hyperbolic cotangent and substituting pi for the variable x. This results in an infinite sum of alternating terms with coefficients based on the sequence of odd numbers.

What is the convergence of the series expansion of Coth(pi)?

The series expansion of Coth(pi) converges for all real values of pi, as it is an alternating series with decreasing terms. However, it converges more slowly than other series expansions of trigonometric or hyperbolic functions.

What are some practical uses of the series expansion of Coth(pi)?

The series expansion of Coth(pi) can be used in various mathematical calculations and approximations, especially when dealing with hyperbolic functions. It can also be used to derive other series expansions and identities in mathematics.