1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series expansion of Coth(pi)

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show coth([itex]\pi[/itex])=1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

2. Relevant equations
    The fourier expansion of e^x is
    Sinh([itex]\pi[/itex])/[itex]\pi[/itex](1+[itex]\sum[/itex] 2(-1)^m/(1+n^2) (cos(mx)-n sin(nx)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I subbed in
    Coth(Pi)=1+e^-pi/sinh(pi) =1+1/[itex]\pi[/itex] (1+2 [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]n=1 (1/(1+n^2)

But this is wrong because of the one out the front - I know that needs to stay there, which means I somehow need to stick a -sinh(pi) into the front of my fourier series of e^pi I would say that it would be my term for n= zero, but I already took care of that one, which was sinh(pi)/pi...
    Please help - I've spent about fifteen pages on the algebra for this and I'm getting really sick of the stupid question...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're missing closing parentheses and have two index variables, m and n, so I'm not sure what you meant to write exactly. Did you mean
    $$\frac{\sinh \pi}{\pi}\left(1+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2(-1)^n}{1+n^2}(\cos nx - n\sin nx)\right)?$$

How'd you come up with ##\coth \pi = 1+\frac{e^{-\pi}}{\sinh \pi}##?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    Coth([itex]\pi[/itex]) =(e[itex]\pi[/itex]+e-[itex]\pi[/itex])/(e[itex]\pi[/itex]-e-[itex]\pi[/itex])

which equals
    1+2e-[itex]\pi[/itex]/(e[itex]\pi[/itex]-e-[itex]\pi[/itex])
    which equals
    1+2e^pi/2sinh(pi)

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As vela pointed out, this makes no sense. What is the actual Fourier series expansion of [itex]e^x[/itex]?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. Aug 29, 2012 #5
    It's the one that vela used - I usually use n's but the lecturer uses m's so it's a bit messed up, and they are both standing for the same thing. And the e^pi is a typo - I have it right in my working...
    I've found another page that uses this as the fourier expansion of e^x, so I'm fairly sure that it's right (after making all the indeces the same)

7. Aug 29, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: What does your Fourier series converge to when you set ##x=\pi##? Keep in mind there's a discontinuity there.

8. Aug 29, 2012 #7
    It'll be... halfway between the limit of the fourier series at Pi and -pi?
    Which means....
    1/2(e^pi+e^-pi)=Sn(+/-pi)?

9. Aug 29, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't know what you mean by "Sn(+/-pi)", but yeah, it'll be the average.

10. Aug 29, 2012 #9
    And that lets me calculate e^pi+e^-pi from my fourier series at Pi; but how do I get e^pi-e^-pi for the denominator then?

11. Aug 29, 2012 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Here's another hint: What's ##\cosh \pi## equal to?

12. Aug 29, 2012 #11
    wait, no, I got it. The denominator is 2 sinh(pi) and the numerator is twice the fourier series at Pi - which is sinH(pi) multiplied by the series I want.
    Thanks!
    :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook