Series expansion of function of two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a series expansion of a function f(r,u) in terms of powers of r and its relation to the Legendre polynomials. The speaker points out that there are different definitions of the Legendre polynomials and the problem is to show their equivalence. The other person mentions having a general understanding of when a series solution can be used for a 2nd order DE but not knowing the mathematical reason behind it. They provide a helpful website for further clarification.
JesseC
This was stated in a lecture:
"
For r < 1 we can make a series expansion of [itex]f(r,u)[/itex] in terms of powers of r where:

[tex] f(r,u) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+r^2-2ru}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}r^nP_n(u) [/tex]
"

Where [itex]P_n(u)[/itex] is a function of u (and is actually the Legendre polynomials). This was stated without real explanation. I don't understand how you can just 'see' this series expansion from the form of [itex]f(r,u)[/itex]. I'm probably just missing some prerequisite maths knowledge so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know why there is a general series expansion of the form [itex] \sum a_n t^n [/itex], right?

The relation you were given is just one possible definition of the Legendre polynomials. There are other definitions, and then the problem becomes to show that these definitions are equivalent. I think you can find most of the proofs for example in Arfken&Weber (although I don't have it near me right now, so I can't check).

clamtrox said:
You know why there is a general series expansion of the form [itex] \sum a_n t^n [/itex], right?.

Not really. I have an idea of when you can and can't use a series solution for a 2nd order DE (essential singular points). I don't know the mathematical reason 'why' there should be a series expansion of a particular function or solution. I've just learned how to apply it!

I found this website very helpful: http://www.serc.iisc.ernet.in/~amohanty/SE288/l.pdf and I think I'm a but clearer on this particular problem.

What is a series expansion of a function of two variables?

A series expansion of a function of two variables is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of terms, typically in the form of a power series. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point or to understand the behavior of a function as its variables change.

How is a series expansion of a function of two variables calculated?

The series expansion of a function of two variables is calculated using the Taylor series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. The resulting series can be truncated to a certain number of terms for a desired level of accuracy.

What is the significance of the order of a series expansion?

The order of a series expansion refers to the highest power of the variables used in the series. It determines the accuracy of the approximation and how many terms are needed to achieve a desired level of precision. Higher order expansions typically result in more accurate approximations, but also require more terms to be calculated.

What are some applications of series expansions of functions of two variables?

Series expansions of functions of two variables are commonly used in calculus, physics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems. They can also be used to solve differential equations and to approximate the behavior of real-world phenomena.

Can series expansions be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, series expansions can be used for functions with any number of variables. However, as the number of variables increases, the complexity of the calculations also increases. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods of approximation or analysis.