1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series expansion of function of two variables

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    This was stated in a lecture:
    "
    For r < 1 we can make a series expansion of [itex]f(r,u)[/itex] in terms of powers of r where:

[tex] f(r,u) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+r^2-2ru}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}r^nP_n(u) [/tex]
    "

Where [itex]P_n(u)[/itex] is a function of u (and is actually the Legendre polynomials). This was stated without real explanation. I don't understand how you can just 'see' this series expansion from the form of [itex]f(r,u)[/itex]. I'm probably just missing some prerequisite maths knowledge so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    You know why there is a general series expansion of the form [itex] \sum a_n t^n [/itex], right?

The relation you were given is just one possible definition of the Legendre polynomials. There are other definitions, and then the problem becomes to show that these definitions are equivalent. I think you can find most of the proofs for example in Arfken&Weber (although I don't have it near me right now, so I can't check).

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Not really. I have an idea of when you can and can't use a series solution for a 2nd order DE (essential singular points). I don't know the mathematical reason 'why' there should be a series expansion of a particular function or solution. I've just learnt how to apply it!

I found this website very helpful: http://www.serc.iisc.ernet.in/~amohanty/SE288/l.pdf and I think I'm a but clearer on this particular problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook