Series versus Parallel Capacitors

In summary: So if you have two capacitors in parallel, the voltage at each would be the same, but they would have charges that were different.
zoner7
This is not so much a homework as just a general question.

I understand the reasoning behind capacitors in a series all of have same charge, which consequently causes each one to have a separate voltage. But why do capacitors in parallel not have the same amount of charge. They all receive the same voltage. Even though capacitance can differ among capacitors in a series, they still all have the same charge. Why would capacitance affect the charge of capacitors in parallel differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that voltage is a measure of how 'hard' the current pushes, not the amount. The current in a parallel series is split, so why wouldn't the amount of charge be split too? Basically current is the net flow of electrons in some time. so when the amount of electrons in some time vary for the entire circuit why wouldn't the amount of electrons stored in anyone capacitor be different.

Someone correct me if I'm off on some definition here but I believe the idea is correct. My electricity is a tad rusty but this answer seemed the most obvious to me.

is it possible for two capacitors the following two capacitors to exist: one has a capacitance of 4F and a charge of +q, and the other has a capacitance of 2F and a charge of +5q.

I think that is it because capacitance is simply a constant that describes the rate of change of charge per unit voltage. If the +5q capacitor has a voltage of 5v, then the two capacitors would be feasible.

Since factors such as dielectrics, area and distance determine the capacitance, then it it possible for the two capacitors to exist.

Can anyone give me a hand on this one?

A capacitor is something that holds charge. If you add a couple in parallel then it's like you have more than one cup lined up to pour charge into.

Q = V*C

or just looking at the capacitor it's C = Q/V.

As you noted if they are in series the charges equalize across the equivalent capacitor, and the lower voltage at each yields lower charges at each. (The equivalent capacitance is less, the reverse of when they are in parallel.)

Related to Series versus Parallel Capacitors

1. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors?

In series capacitors, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel capacitors, the capacitors are connected side-by-side. This results in different overall capacitance values and charge storage capabilities.

2. Which one is more effective for increasing capacitance: series or parallel connection?

Parallel connection is more effective for increasing capacitance because the total capacitance is equal to the sum of individual capacitances in parallel.

3. What happens to the total capacitance when capacitors are connected in series?

The total capacitance decreases when capacitors are connected in series. This is because the overall capacitance is inversely proportional to the sum of the inverse of individual capacitances in series.

4. How does the charge distribution differ in series and parallel capacitors?

In series capacitors, the charge is distributed evenly among each capacitor, while in parallel capacitors, the charge is divided among the capacitors based on their respective capacitance values.

5. Which type of capacitor connection is used more in practical applications?

Both series and parallel capacitors have their own uses in practical applications. However, parallel connection is more commonly used for increasing capacitance and series connection is used for filtering and voltage division circuits.