Finding ##R_1## & ##R_2## in Series Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses two resistances connected in series across a 12 V battery and the change in current when one of the resistances is removed. Using Ohm's law and a series of equations, the values for the resistances are calculated to be ##R_1=35Ω## and ##R_2=50Ω##. The other solution of ##R_1=204.85## is discarded as it does not satisfy the equations.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

Two resistances, ##R_1## and ##R_2##, are connected in series across a 12 V battery. The current increases by 0.2 A when ##R_2## is removed, leaving ##R_1## connected across the battery. However, the current increases by just 0.1 A when ##R_1## is removed, leaving ##R_2## connected across the battery. Find ##R_1## and ##R_2##.

Homework Equations

Ohm's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

##ΔI_1=0.2 A##
##ΔI_2=0.1 A##(1) ##I=\frac{V}{R_1}-ΔI_1##

(2) ##I=\frac{V}{R_2}-ΔI_2##

(3) ##I=\frac{V}{R_1+R_2}##

From (1) and (2):
(4) ##R_2=\frac{120R_1}{R_1+120}##

From (2) and (3):
(5) ##\frac{V}{R_2}-ΔI_2=\frac{V}{R_1+R_2}##

Then I put (4) into (5) and get:
##R_1=0.503Ω##
##R_2=0.5009Ω##

The correct answer is ##R_1=35Ω##, ##R_2=50Ω##.

I fail to spot my mistake. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck eq. 4

I see, it's suppose to be ##R_2=-\frac{120R_1}{R_1-120}##, but then I get two ##R_1## values:
##R_1=35.15##
##R_1=204.85##
Both seem correct. How come the authors chose only one of them?

kaspis245 said:
I see, it's suppose to be ##R_2=-\frac{120R_1}{R_1-120}##, but then I get two ##R_1## values:
##R_1=35.15##
##R_1=204.85##
Both seem correct. How come the authors chose only one of them?
Calculate the value of ##R_2## associated with each choice of ##R_1##.

In solving a quadratic eq you sometimes get extraneous roots. You must determine if it is a plausible soution. the 204.85 ohm solution does not satisfy eq 4 predicting a neg value for R2. So discard it.

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected one after the other, forming a single loop. This means that the current flows through each component in the same direction.

What are ##R_1## and ##R_2## in a series circuit?

##R_1## and ##R_2## refer to the individual resistances of the two components in a series circuit. These resistances determine the amount of opposition to the flow of current in the circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit can be calculated by adding up the individual resistances of each component. This can be represented by the formula: R_total = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n

What happens to the total resistance when more resistors are added in series?

When resistors are added in series, the total resistance increases. This is because the current has to pass through each resistor, resulting in more opposition to the flow of current.

How does the current behave in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit. This means that the same amount of current flows through each component, as there is only one path for the current to take.