Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of paired elements

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I'm trying to express a given requirement in a software system. I'm used to UML and UseCase specification, but I thought I would attempt to learn Zed Specification (which is based off logic, set theory., etc... so those topics too!)

Given two sets of data
    e.g. in Zed notation

[X] ::= a|b|c|d
    [Y]::= 1|2|3|4

or in Set Theory

X = {a,b,c,d}
    Y = {1,2,3,4}

In set notation I am having difficulty trying to write down the formula for specifying a set containing a list of pairs made from X and Y. Note: Not a Cartesian Product.
    So I'm looking for a Set definition for something like this:

MysterySet = {(a,1),(b,2),(c,3),(d,4)}
    or a further example,
    Material = {(chair,wood),(table,metal),(cup,clay)}

This is basically an analogy for a key-value pair.

Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't decipher just what it is you are trying to do...

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    Hi :smile:

I'm just trying to write a set definition for a set containing a list of paired values. Where each paired value is a single member of that set.

For example the set of all married couples Married = {(bob,jane),(fred,susan),(mike,sarah)} will have been built from the two sets: female={jane,susan,sarah} and male={bob,fred,mike}

So in a set definition how do I say something like:

each element in the set "Married" is a paired value from an enumerated one-to-one mapping between an element in the set male to the set female.

Hope that help! :biggrin: I could do this is a second programmatically but I have become extremely interested in modeling using set theory and logic, although it's something I've only just strated learning.

Thanks

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
    After having done further research, it looks like a set of key-valued pairs might be (might be, being this is what I have thought up myself) represented as the set of all bijections as denoted X[tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex]Y.

So would I be right in saying (this is so sketchy and grasping at straws)
    If I have a dom X = {1,2,3} and ran Y = {a,b,c} then a set S = {f:X[tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex]Y} would infact look like S={(a,1),(b,2),(c,3)}

P.S. Still getting used to the Latex function on this forum :rolleyes:

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?