1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set theory problem (uncountable set)

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to show that if we have a non-negative real valued function f defined on f a set X, and that the set of points where f is non-vanishing is uncountable, then for any M > 0, I can find a sequence {x_n} of points in X such that

[tex]\sum_n f(x_n)>M[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is not for a set theory class, its in the context of a measure and integration problem where I want to demonstrate a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be integrable on a set X with respect to the cardinal measure mu(E) = |E|.

Ok, so I would appreciate to get a confirmation that the following assertion is true, because if it is, then I will have solved the problem I think:

"If for any natural number n,

[tex]f^{-1}(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable, then

[tex]f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable too."

It seems so to me since it seems natural that a countable union of countable sets in countable and

[tex]\bigcup_{n\geq 1} f^{-1}\left(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right) = f^{-1}\left(\bigcup_{n\geq 1}]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right)=f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]

Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A countable union of countables is countable: #(N x N) = #N.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

sweet. By the end of the thread I didn't really had a doubt left but thx for confirming, and so fast!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?