Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Set theory problem (uncountable set)

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to show that if we have a non-negative real valued function f defined on f a set X, and that the set of points where f is non-vanishing is uncountable, then for any M > 0, I can find a sequence {x_n} of points in X such that

[tex]\sum_n f(x_n)>M[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is not for a set theory class, its in the context of a measure and integration problem where I want to demonstrate a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be integrable on a set X with respect to the cardinal measure mu(E) = |E|.

Ok, so I would appreciate to get a confirmation that the following assertion is true, because if it is, then I will have solved the problem I think:

"If for any natural number n,

[tex]f^{-1}(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable, then

[tex]f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable too."

It seems so to me since it seems natural that a countable union of countable sets in countable and

[tex]\bigcup_{n\geq 1} f^{-1}\left(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right) = f^{-1}\left(\bigcup_{n\geq 1}]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right)=f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]

Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A countable union of countables is countable: #(N x N) = #N.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

sweet. By the end of the thread I didn't really had a doubt left but thx for confirming, and so fast!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook