Set theory problem (uncountable set)

In summary, the conversation discusses a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be integrable on a set X with respect to a cardinal measure. This condition is that if the function is non-vanishing on an uncountable set, then for any M > 0, there exists a sequence of points in X such that the sum of the function at these points is greater than M. The participants also confirm that a countable union of countable sets is countable.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I would like to show that if we have a non-negative real valued function f defined on f a set X, and that the set of points where f is non-vanishing is uncountable, then for any M > 0, I can find a sequence {x_n} of points in X such that

[tex]\sum_n f(x_n)>M[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not for a set theory class, its in the context of a measure and integration problem where I want to demonstrate a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be integrable on a set X with respect to the cardinal measure mu(E) = |E|.

Ok, so I would appreciate to get a confirmation that the following assertion is true, because if it is, then I will have solved the problem I think:

"If for any natural number n,

[tex]f^{-1}(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable, then

[tex]f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]

is countable too."

It seems so to me since it seems natural that a countable union of countable sets in countable and

[tex]\bigcup_{n\geq 1} f^{-1}\left(]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right) = f^{-1}\left(\bigcup_{n\geq 1}]\frac{1}{n}, +\infty[\right)=f^{-1}(]0, +\infty[)[/tex]Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
A countable union of countables is countable: #(N x N) = #N.

sweet. By the end of the thread I didn't really had a doubt left but thanks for confirming, and so fast!

1. What is an uncountable set in set theory?

An uncountable set in set theory is a set that contains an infinite number of elements that cannot be counted or listed. This means that the set is larger than the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), and therefore cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with them.

2. How can we prove that a set is uncountable?

A set can be proven to be uncountable by showing that there is no way to list or count all of its elements. This can be done using a proof by contradiction, where we assume that the set is countable and then show that this leads to a contradiction.

3. What are some examples of uncountable sets?

Some examples of uncountable sets include the set of all real numbers, the set of all irrational numbers, and the set of all possible infinite sequences of 0s and 1s (known as the Cantor set).

4. What is the importance of uncountable sets in mathematics?

Uncountable sets play a crucial role in mathematics, particularly in areas such as analysis, topology, and measure theory. They provide a way to describe and understand the properties of infinite collections of objects, and have applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics.

5. Can an uncountable set be countable in a different context?

Yes, an uncountable set can be considered countable in a different context. For example, the set of real numbers may be considered uncountable in the context of set theory, but in the context of topology, it can be considered countable as it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of open intervals on the real line.