Setting up triple integral in cylindrical coords (looking to check my answer)

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an integral in cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of a solid bounded by a sphere and a cone. The solution involves integrating '1' over a specific range of values for theta, r, and z.
a1010711

Homework Statement

set up an integral in cylindrical coords to compute the volume of the solid S bounded by the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=12 and the cone 3z^2=x^2+y^2 where z>=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i will post my answer here. please let 'I' stand for integral:

i get,

I[0,2pi] , I[0,3] I[r/sqrt[3],sqrt[12-r^2] r dz dr dtheta.

so theta goes from 0 to 2pi
r goes from 0 to 3 etc

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It says to find volume. So the function you are integrating is '1'. That's a little hard to read, but it looks ok to me.

1. What is a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is best described using cylindrical coordinates. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space defined by cylindrical coordinates.

2. How do you set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to define the limits of integration in terms of the cylindrical coordinates ρ, φ, and z. Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function that will be integrated. Finally, you can write the integral in the form of ∫∫∫f(ρ, φ, z)dV, where dV is the volume element in cylindrical coordinates.

3. What is the importance of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral?

Using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral can make the calculation process easier and more efficient, especially when dealing with shapes that have cylindrical symmetry. It also allows for a more intuitive representation of the region of integration and can provide insight into the geometry of the shape being integrated.

4. How do you know if your answer for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates is correct?

To check if your answer for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates is correct, you can use various techniques such as graphing the integrand and the region of integration, using symmetry properties to simplify the integral, and comparing your answer to other known solutions. You can also use online calculators or computer programs to verify your answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when setting up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates include incorrectly defining the limits of integration, using the wrong coordinate system, and not taking into account symmetries that could simplify the integral. It is also important to carefully evaluate the integrand and make sure it is expressed correctly in terms of cylindrical coordinates.