Sharp values of wavefunction in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing the function in polar coordinates ψ(r,θ,\phi) = R(r)sinθe^{i\phi} and how it returns sharp values for the magnitude and z-component of the orbital angular momentum for any radial function R(r). The participants are trying to determine the exact values for these sharp values and considering the eigenfunction condition and expectation values for calculation.
ParoxysmX

Homework Statement

Consider the function in polar coordinates

ψ(r,θ,[itex]\phi[/itex]) = R(r)sinθ[itex]e^{i\phi}[/itex]

Show by direct calculation that ψ returns sharp values of the magnitude and z-component of the orbital angular momentum for any radial function R(r). What are these sharp values?

The Attempt at a Solution

I -think- for [itex]L_{z}[/itex] to be sharp, you have to impose the eigenfunction condition

[itex]-i\hbar \frac{dψ}{d\phi} = L_{z}ψ[/itex]

which means that the radial function R(r) would cancel with itself if you were to rearrange the above for [itex]L_{z}[/itex]. However I could have completely the wrong idea here.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about calculating the expectation values corresponding to "the magnitude and z-component of the orbital angular momentum "?

1. What are sharp values in a wavefunction?

Sharp values in a wavefunction refer to points in space where the probability of finding a particle is significantly higher compared to the surrounding area. These points can also be referred to as "peaks" or "nodes" in the wavefunction.

2. How do sharp values affect the behavior of particles?

Sharp values play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. The sharp values correspond to areas of high probability, meaning particles are more likely to be found in these areas. This can affect the trajectory and interactions of the particles within the wavefunction.

3. What causes sharp values in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, sharp values can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the shape and size of the potential well, the energy level of the particle, and the boundary conditions of the system. These factors can influence the shape and amplitude of the wavefunction, resulting in regions of high probability.

4. How do we calculate sharp values in polar coordinates?

The calculation of sharp values in polar coordinates involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the specific system. This equation takes into account the aforementioned factors and provides information about the wavefunction, including its sharp values. Numerical methods and mathematical approximations can also be used to estimate the sharp values of a wavefunction.

5. Can sharp values be observed in experiments?

Yes, sharp values can be observed in experiments through various techniques such as electron microscopy, spectroscopy, and diffraction. These techniques allow us to visualize the wavefunction and its sharp values, providing valuable insights into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.