Shear Forces on Dams: Struggling Amateur Needs Help

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a dam structure and the hydrostatic pressure load on the submerged portion of the dam. The problem is asking the person to assume the dam can be modeled as a beam and to analyze it accordingly. The person is struggling with understanding where the share forces act on the dam and is looking for help or different perspectives. The conversation also mentions that the person's English is not very good and that they are an amateur.
Eivind Johansen
Im struggeling with understanding this task. Yeah I'm an amateur.. My English is not that good as well. My main problem is understanding where the share forces act on this dam, if its through the centre of pressure, or if its at the bottom of the dam. Now I have calculated the share forces acting on the bottom of the dam, as I have assumed this is the only place it is supported. Can anyone help me with this, or does anyone have some point of view.

Attachments

• Uten navn.jpg
    Uten navn.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 782
Physics news on Phys.org
Eivind Johansen said:
Im struggeling with understanding this task. Yeah I'm an amateur.. My English is not that good as well. My main problem is understanding where the share forces act on this dam, if its through the centre of pressure, or if its at the bottom of the dam. Now I have calculated the share forces acting on the bottom of the dam, as I have assumed this is the only place it is supported. Can anyone help me with this, or does anyone have some point of view.
This problem is asking you to assume that the dam structure can be modeled as a beam which is fixed at one end and free to move at the other.

The hydrostatic pressure load on the submerged portion of the dam is modeled as a distributed load on the simple beam which is zero at the surface of the water, increasing in a linear fashion with increasing water depth.

Since this is a beam problem, you'll have to analyze it as such, by working out the reactions at the fixed end, and then drawing the shear force and bending moment diagrams along the length of the beam.

If you've worked beam problems before, then this should be fairly straightforward. If you haven't, then you'll have some further study to do.

1. What is a shear force on a dam?

A shear force on a dam is a force that acts parallel to the surface of the dam, causing it to bend or deform. It is typically caused by the weight of the water behind the dam and the pressure it exerts.

2. How do shear forces affect dams?

Shear forces can cause a dam to experience stress and strain, potentially leading to cracks, leaks, or even failure. They can also cause the dam to deform, which can affect its structural integrity.

3. How are shear forces calculated on a dam?

Shear forces are calculated using the principles of mechanics, specifically the laws of static equilibrium. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the dam and determining the magnitude and direction of the shear force.

4. What measures can be taken to reduce shear forces on a dam?

To reduce shear forces on a dam, engineers may use a variety of techniques, such as increasing the size or thickness of the dam, adding reinforcements, or altering the design of the dam to better distribute forces.

5. What are the potential dangers of shear forces on a dam?

The potential dangers of shear forces on a dam include structural damage, potential failure, and the risk of flooding downstream. It is important for dams to be carefully designed and maintained to withstand shear forces and protect surrounding communities.