Find Frequency of Block Oscillation Due to Shear Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of oscillation of a rectangular block subjected to a shear restoring force. The derivation involves variables such as density, shear modulus, elevation, horizontal shear force, horizontal acceleration, and horizontal displacement. The assumption that the block does not undergo any bending is made, and the shear force on the base of the block is analyzed. The force profile is found to be proportional to the distance from the bottom, leading to a simple harmonic motion with a frequency of: f = 1/2π√(2G/ρH^2). The individual asks for confirmation on their approach and a definition of the symbols used.
person123
TL;DR Summary
I derived an equation for the frequency of a rectangular prism oscillating due to a shear restoring force, but I don't know if it's correct.
Hi. I'm trying to determine the frequency of an block (roughly a rectangular prism) when the oscillation is due to a shear restoring force. Here is a diagram:
House Diagram.png

In the derivation, ##\rho## is the density of the block,##G## is the shear modulus of the block, ##y## is the elevation of the element of the block, ##F## is the horizontal shear force, ##a_x## is the horizontal acceleration of the material element, and ##\Delta x## is the horizontal displacement of the material element.

I assume that the block does not undergo any bending (I think this is a good approximation if H is small). There is a shear force on the base of the block causing it oscillate. I look at a small part of the block and analyze the forces on it. ##\frac {\partial F}{ \partial y}## relates to the acceleration of the small mass:

$$\frac {\partial F}{\partial y}dy=dm a_x$$
$$\frac {\partial F}{\partial y}dy=\rho dy W L a_x$$
$$\frac {\partial F}{\partial y}=\rho W L a_x$$

Because:
$$\tau=G \Delta\theta$$
for small angles:
$$F_{bottom}=G \frac{\Delta x}{y}WL$$

The shear force must vary between this value and 0 at the top along the height of the block. ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}## must be proportional to the distance from the bottom (the higher up the element is, the more it is displaced, so the more it accelerates, and the relation is linear assuming SHM and no bending). This means the force profile must be the following (I'm skipping the steps but it's easy to confirm):

$$F=F_{bottom}(1-\frac{y^2}{H^2})$$

This means:
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=- \frac{2y G\Delta x WL}{y H^2}=-\frac{2G \Delta x WL}{H^2}$$

Plugging this into the previous equation:
$$\rho W L a_x=-\frac{2G \Delta x WL}{H^2}$$
$$a_x=-\frac{2G}{\rho H^2} \Delta x$$

This is simple harmonic motion, so the frequency would be:
$$f=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{2G}{\rho H^2}}$$

I'm interested in whether my approach is correct (I couldn't find an equation for this when searching online).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please define symbols.

Likes person123

1. What is the concept of block oscillation due to shear force?

The concept of block oscillation due to shear force refers to the movement or vibration of a solid block when subjected to a shear force, which is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of the block. This phenomenon is commonly observed in structures such as bridges and buildings, where shear forces caused by wind or earthquakes can cause the blocks to vibrate.

2. How is the frequency of block oscillation due to shear force calculated?

The frequency of block oscillation due to shear force can be calculated using the equation: f = (1/2π) * √(k/m), where f is the frequency in Hertz (Hz), k is the spring constant of the block, and m is the mass of the block. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and the equation for simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the frequency of block oscillation due to shear force?

The frequency of block oscillation due to shear force is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the stiffness of the material, and the amplitude of the shear force. Other factors such as damping, or the dissipation of energy, can also affect the frequency.

4. How does the frequency of block oscillation due to shear force impact the stability of a structure?

The frequency of block oscillation due to shear force is an important factor in determining the stability of a structure. If the frequency of the shear force matches the natural frequency of the structure, it can lead to resonance, which can cause excessive vibrations and potential damage. Therefore, it is important for engineers to consider the frequency of block oscillation when designing structures.

5. Are there any real-world applications of block oscillation due to shear force?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of block oscillation due to shear force. One example is in the design of earthquake-resistant buildings, where engineers must consider the frequency of block oscillation to ensure the stability of the structure during seismic activity. Another example is in the design of suspension bridges, where the frequency of block oscillation is important in determining the stability and safety of the bridge.