Shear stiffness for elevated water tank

This is why the solution for the tank example uses the first equation and the solution for the rigid slab example uses the second equation. In summary, the shear stiffness calculation for an elevated water tank depends on the type of support at the base. If supported by fixed columns, use 3EI/L3, and if supported by a rigid slab, use 12EI/L3. The difference between these two equations is the assumption of fixed columns or a rigid slab.
Sadeq
Hello,

I just have simple question regarding shear stiffness for elevated water tank,
this tank is elevated on a column and this column is fix in the base
my question is which formula should i use to calculate k
k=3EI/L3 OR 12EI/L3
i know the the first for fix pin case and the second one is for fix fix case

the solution for the example as far as i see , is consider 3EI/L3

but i am trying to compare this to one floor rigid slab example in which the solution is 12 EI/L3

So why the tank is different, could nay one guide me through this

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you The shear stiffness calculation for an elevated water tank is based on the type of support it has at the base. If the tank is supported by fixed columns, then the equation 3EI/L3 should be used. If the tank is supported by a rigid slab, then the equation 12EI/L3 should be used. The difference between these two equations is that the first assumes that the columns are fixed and the second assumes that the slab is rigid.

1. What is shear stiffness for elevated water tank?

Shear stiffness for elevated water tank is a measure of the tank's resistance to deformation under shear forces. It is an important factor in determining the structural stability and safety of the tank.

2. Why is shear stiffness important for elevated water tanks?

Shear stiffness is important for elevated water tanks because it helps to prevent the tank from buckling or collapsing when subjected to external forces such as wind or seismic activity. It also ensures that the tank can maintain its shape and structural integrity over time.

3. How is the shear stiffness of an elevated water tank calculated?

The shear stiffness of an elevated water tank is calculated using engineering principles and formulas that take into account factors such as the tank's dimensions, material properties, and the type of support structure used.

4. What factors can affect the shear stiffness of an elevated water tank?

Several factors can affect the shear stiffness of an elevated water tank, including the design and construction materials used, the height and shape of the tank, the type of support structure, and environmental factors such as wind and seismic activity.

5. How can the shear stiffness of an elevated water tank be improved?

The shear stiffness of an elevated water tank can be improved by using high-strength materials, optimizing the tank's design and dimensions, and ensuring proper construction techniques are used. Adding reinforcement elements, such as braces or stiffeners, can also help to increase the shear stiffness of the tank.