Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ship called the CXV (Crew Transfer Vehicle)

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    I read an article in Popular Science about a ship called the CXV (Crew Transfer Vehicle).:confused: It is made by a company called t/Space. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. Any help is welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2
    I understand that t/space is working on the project, but they will not make it. Lockheed or Boeing will manufacture it. I beleive they want it to replace the space shuttle for transporting crews to the space station. I read somewhere that it can be launched from a carrier by booster rockets, and it is based on the discoverer capsule.

carp
    PropulsionAccess.com

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Hey Carp. I just noticed your sig and took a look at that site. I will definitely be checking that out more closely.

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4
    thanks
    I'm trying to get some people to start sharing ideas over there b/c rocket engines/jet engines are my thing.

carp
    PropulsionAccess.com

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Mine too......Are you in the business too or an enthusiast?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  7. Nov 14, 2006 #6
    Almost in the business...I'm a mechanical engineering student (not long until graduation). I'm trying to make connections in the propulsion feild and learn everything I can.

carp
    PropulsionAccess.com

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

9. Nov 14, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is t/space's site - http://www.transformspace.com/index...ew&workid=CCD3097A-96B6-175C-97F15F270F2B83AA

t/space was one of several companies to provide concepts for future exploration - http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/vision_concepts.html
    I believe Lockheed-Martin got the CEV contract, so I don't know if t/space has funding from NASA or other sources.

Interesting article - NASA Internal Memo From Constellation Program Manager Jeff Hanley
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=22553

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  10. Nov 15, 2006 #9
    I am curious what the Discoverer capsules are.:confused: I remeber hearing of the Corona series of spy satellites that used photographic film returned to earth in a reentry capsule and were recovered in midair under a parachute. Are Discoverer and Corona the same capsule?:confused:

11. Nov 15, 2006 #10
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  12. Nov 15, 2006 #11

LURCH

Science Advisor

It is also being built from the design phase up with the intention that it should be upgradable for trips to the Moon and eventually Mars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?