Maximum Amplitude for Simple Harmonic Motion with Friction

In summary, the maximum amplitude of oscillation for the disk in order for the small block not to fall off can be found by setting the friction force equal to the elastic force. This results in an equation of A = (m+M)*mu*g/k. By considering the maximum force possible that the block can experience without sliding, the small block's maximum acceleration can be calculated as ma = m*mu*g. This can then be used to find the maximum amplitude of oscillation for the system as a whole, A = (m+M)*mu*g/k.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

A disk of mass [tex]M[/tex], attached to a spring of constant [tex]k[/tex] fixed to a vertical wall can oscillate freely in a frictionless horizontal plane. A small block of mass [tex]m[/tex] is put on the disk with which there is friction under a coefficient of friction [tex]\mu[/tex]. What is the maximum amplitude of oscillation for the disk in order for the small block not to fall off?

Homework Equations

SHM equation for the displacement of the system:

[tex]x(t) = acos(\omega t) + bsin(\omega t)[/tex], or

[tex]x(t) = Acos(\omega t + \phi),\ A = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{(m + M)}} [/tex]

[tex]F_{friction} = \mu m g [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured it out that there are two opposite forces acting on the small block to be taken into consideration, the friction and the elastic force (due to the oscillation of the disk).

If the elastic force is greater than the friction the block falls off the disk, but if the elastic force is equal or less than the friction the block will remain steady. And the maximum amplitude happens for the maximum elastic force which happens to be the case when it equals the friction, that is, Friction = Elastic Force.

Therefore, mathematically we can write this as

[tex]\mu m g = - k x [/tex]

[tex]\mu m g = -kAcos(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

[tex]A = -\frac{\mu m g}{kcos(\omega t + \phi)} [/tex]

The minimum value for the denominator happens when the cosine has it's lowest value, that is, -1, therefore

[tex]A = \frac{\mu m g}{k} [/tex]

This is what I can think off, but I'm sure it is incorrect, can anyone please give me a hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Je m'appelle,

Oh, so close!
Je m'appelle said:
So, I figured it out that there are two opposite forces acting on the small block to be taken into consideration, the friction and the elastic force (due to the oscillation of the disk).
There's the mistake. Draw a free body diagram. You'll find that there is only one force acting on the small block: the force of static friction. As far as the small block is concerned, it is this force, and only this force that causes it to accelerate back and forth.

You can find this by considering the maximum force possible that the block can experience without sliding. So that force is Ffriction = mμg.

Since that's the only force involved on the small block, you can calculate the small bock's maximum acceleration: ma = mμg. Solve for a

Then go back to the system as a whole. You know that the force on the spring is the combined mass (i.e. the mass of disk + small block combination) times the acceleration (and you know what the maximum a is from the above paragraph). So now take that and set it equal to the spring's force. You should be able to take it from there.

collinsmark said:
Hello Je m'appelle,

Oh, so close!

There's the mistake. Draw a free body diagram. You'll find that there is only one force acting on the small block: the force of static friction. As far as the small block is concerned, it is this force, and only this force that causes it to accelerate back and forth.

You can find this by considering the maximum force possible that the block can experience without sliding. So that force is Ffriction = mμg.

Since that's the only force involved on the small block, you can calculate the small bock's maximum acceleration: ma = mμg. Solve for a

Then go back to the system as a whole. You know that the force on the spring is the combined mass (i.e. the mass of disk + small block combination) times the acceleration (and you know what the maximum a is from the above paragraph). So now take that and set it equal to the spring's force. You should be able to take it from there.

So,

[tex]a = \mu g [/tex]

[tex](m+M)\mu g = -k x [/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{(m+M)\mu g}{-kcos(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{(m+M)\mu g}{k}[/tex]

This?

Je m'appelle said:
[tex]a = \mu g [/tex]

[tex](m+M)\mu g = -k x [/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{(m+M)\mu g}{-kcos(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{(m+M)\mu g}{k}[/tex]
Yeah, that looks like the right idea to me. :approve: (with a couple stipulations that we are evaluating things at times of maximum acceleration, maximum amplitude and such.)

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Yeah, that looks like the right idea to me. :approve: (with a couple stipulations that we are evaluating things at times of maximum acceleration, maximum amplitude and such.)

Thanks for the huge help collins :cool:

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This results in a back-and-forth motion around a central equilibrium point.

What are the factors that affect SHM?

The factors that affect SHM include the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. The mass and spring constant determine the frequency of the motion, while the amplitude affects the maximum displacement of the object.

What is the equation for SHM?

The equation for SHM is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

What is the difference between SHM and simple harmonic oscillator?

SHM refers to the motion of an object under the influence of a restoring force, while a simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits SHM. In other words, SHM is a type of motion, while a simple harmonic oscillator is a system that produces that motion.

What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a mass on a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, a weight bouncing on a spring, and a simple harmonic motion demo device.