1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Exact Sequences

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Hello! I have just another problem I can't figure out how to solve:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a homomorphism of short exact sequences (it's all vector spaces):
    [PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/9568/seq.png [Broken]

Prove that:
    (1) [tex]\sigma[/tex] is surjective iff [tex]\rho[/tex] is injective.
    (2) [tex]\sigma[/tex] is injective iff [tex]\rho[/tex] is surjective.

2. Relevant equations
    Earlier parts of the exercise:
    (1) [tex]\psi_2 (\hbox{Im } \sigma)=\hbox{Im } \tau[/tex]
    There was also another,
    (2) [tex]\phi_1(\ker \rho)=\ker \sigma[/tex],
    but this is wrong, I'm afraid.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm deeply sorry, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    I could be wrong since my algebra was a long time ago, but it seems to me that both of these statements are false.

Let [tex]k[/tex] be the field over which the vector spaces are taken. To see that (1) is false, let [tex]F_1 = k, E_1 = k, G_1 = 0, F_2 = k, E_2 = k^2, G_2 = k; \phi_1 = \mathrm{id}, \psi_1 = 0, \phi_2 = \iota_1[/tex] is the inclusion along the first axis, [tex]\psi_2 = \pi_2[/tex] is the projection along the second axis; [tex]\rho = \mathrm{id}, \sigma = \iota_1, \tau = 0[/tex]. This diagram commutes since [tex]\phi_2 \rho = \sigma \phi_1 = \iota_1, \psi_2 \sigma = \tau \psi_1 = 0[/tex], and the sequences are exact since [tex]\ker\psi_1 = \mathop{\mathrm{im}}\phi_1 = k[/tex], [tex]\ker\psi_2 = \mathop{\mathrm{im}}\phi_2 = k \times 0[/tex]. Here [tex]\rho[/tex] is bijective, but [tex]\sigma[/tex] is not surjective.

To see that (2) is also false, exchange the roles of the two rows, and let [tex]\rho = \mathrm{id}, \sigma = \pi_1, \tau = 0[/tex]. Then [tex]\rho[/tex] is bijective, but [tex]\sigma[/tex] is not injective.

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Too bad I quickly gave up my attempts to construct counterexample. Thank you for you time, it's perfectly clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook