• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Should I take chemistry as a physics major?

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You can most likely learn the chemistry you need by yourself.
The laboratory exercises including a good laboratory manual, and a good textbook along with a degreed intructor/teacher/professor are necessary.

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
If they want to do lab work the should have a lab course, but in terms of knowing chemistry I was a told by a soft matter theorist that was a one time in a chemistry department that they basically learned all the chemistry they needed by themselves. I would just take the intro sequence and you should be fine after that.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
This is misleading:
If they want to do lab work the should have a lab course, but in terms of knowing chemistry I was a told by a soft matter theorist that was a one time in a chemistry department that they basically learned all the chemistry they needed by themselves. I would just take the intro sequence and you should be fine after that.
A student must do his own studying, his own exercises, and ultimately, his own learning. MOST people who study Chemistry need some instructive guidance, and a suitably equiped and supervised laboratory, and must make formal use of a textbook for the course/courses. ALL people who study Chemistry must do laboratory activities. One must assemble and adjust equipment and learn to handle materials. Much of everything relies on the students actions and on the students thoughts.

I have a physics/engineering background but I now work in the chemistry branch of a national lab and I've been able to learn alot of the chemistry needed on my own through self study; granted I myself don't need to know as much as the actual dedicated chemists and material scientists since I'm working on the engineering end of things but it's good to know what concepts are being applied.