Show magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnitude of the velocity vector squared in Cartesian and polar coordinates. It is suggested to use the chain rule of differentiation to convert the expressions for velocity in Cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates, and then square and add the resulting expressions to find the magnitude of the velocity vector squared in polar coordinates. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the suggested method will be tried out the following day.
leonne

Homework Statement

In Cartesian coordinates the magnitude of the velocity vector squared is
|v|^2=V*V= Vx^2 +Vy^2 =(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2
Show that in polar coordinated
|v|^2= Vr^2 +V@ ^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what the question is asking me to do, but i am guessing to convert (dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2 into polar? or do i need to do it for all of it?

Well I got dy/dt=(dr/d@) sin@+rcos@ and dx/dt=(dr/d@) cos@-rsin@

Is this right? Were do i go after this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not right.
If x = r cosθ, then
(dx/dt) = (dr/dt) cosθ - r sinθ (dθ/dt). That's the chain rule of differentiation.

Find a similar expression for (dy/dt), square each expression then add.

cool thanks for info ill try it out tomorrow

What is the concept of "magnitude of velocity vector" in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates refers to the length or size of the velocity vector in a given direction. It is a measure of the speed or rate at which an object is moving, taking into account the direction of motion in relation to a polar coordinate system.

How is the magnitude of velocity vector calculated in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the polar components of the velocity vector.

What is the difference between magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the magnitude of velocity vector takes into account the direction of motion, whereas in Cartesian coordinates, only the magnitude of the vector is considered. This is because polar coordinates use angle and distance from the origin to describe a vector, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates.

Why is it important to show the magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates?

Showing the magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates provides a complete understanding of an object's motion. It not only gives information about its speed, but also its direction of motion, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

What are some real-world examples of using the magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of velocity vector in polar coordinates is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. Some examples include tracking the movement of planets in space, analyzing the motion of particles in a chemical reaction, and determining the speed and direction of a ship or aircraft using radar.