1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that dim U <= n

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let U be a vector subspace of C2n such that
    sum(xi*yi) = 0 for 1 <= i <= 2n for any x, y ∈ U. Show that dim U <= n. Give an example of such a subspace U with dim U = n

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried just writing out the summation and was thinking along the lines of linear independence but I don't think that applies here (maybe it does, I'm not sure). Could I think of a linear map contained in U that maps two vectors x and y to be the sum = 0? I think I'm confusing myself here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i'm not sure i understand the question correctly... so is that effectively the compex innner product of 2 vectors in the subsapce is always zero?

[tex] <\texbf{x},\texbf{y}> = \sum_i x_i^* y_i [/tex]

but if that were the case, as U is a vector space, if x is in U, then so is c.x, but
    [tex] <\texbf{x},\texbf{cx}> = c||x||^2 [/tex]
    contradiction?

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe by * he meant multiplication rather than complex conjugation? We'll have to wait for him to clarify, I guess.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Glad you guys (lanedance and Hurkyl) jumped in on this one. I was thinking along the lines that lanedance described, except I was thinking of this product of a vector with itself.
    [tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{2n} x_i*x_i~=~0[/tex]
    which suggests that all the x_i's are 0.

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    it's multiplication not conjugate (sorry about the mix-up everybody!)

7. Nov 18, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

brru25, You're sure you have given us the exact problem description, right?

8. Nov 18, 2009 #7
    positive, word-for-word.....see why I'm confused? :-)

9. Nov 18, 2009 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok, think I'm getting it now, sounds like what Hurkyl was thinking...

I haven't worked it, but would start with an example in the 2D case in [itex] \mathbb{C}^2[/itex], so n = 1

so say you have a vector (a,b) which is in U, it satisfies the rule with itself
    [tex] \sum_i x_i^2 = a^2 + b^2 = 0[/tex]

so, first can you find a vector that satisfies above... and 2nd can you show given a vector in U, there can be no other linearly independent vectors in U?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook