Show dim U <= n in Vector Subspace of C2n

• Thread starter brru25
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is asking for a vector space with dimension less than or equal to the number of points in the vector space. The example given is a vector space with dimension 1. The attempt at a solution is to find a vector that satisfies the equation given. The problem is word-for-word what is given, but the attempt at a solution is to find a vector that satisfies the equation. The second problem is that there cannot be any other linearly independent vectors in the vector space.
brru25

Homework Statement

Let U be a vector subspace of C2n such that
sum(xi*yi) = 0 for 1 <= i <= 2n for any x, y ∈ U. Show that dim U <= n. Give an example of such a subspace U with dim U = n

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried just writing out the summation and was thinking along the lines of linear independence but I don't think that applies here (maybe it does, I'm not sure). Could I think of a linear map contained in U that maps two vectors x and y to be the sum = 0? I think I'm confusing myself here.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure i understand the question correctly... so is that effectively the compex innner product of 2 vectors in the subsapce is always zero?

[tex] <\texbf{x},\texbf{y}> = \sum_i x_i^* y_i [/tex]

but if that were the case, as U is a vector space, if x is in U, then so is c.x, but
[tex] <\texbf{x},\texbf{cx}> = c||x||^2 [/tex]
contradiction?

Maybe by * he meant multiplication rather than complex conjugation? We'll have to wait for him to clarify, I guess.

Glad you guys (lanedance and Hurkyl) jumped in on this one. I was thinking along the lines that lanedance described, except I was thinking of this product of a vector with itself.
[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{2n} x_i*x_i~=~0[/tex]
which suggests that all the x_i's are 0.

it's multiplication not conjugate (sorry about the mix-up everybody!)

brru25, You're sure you have given us the exact problem description, right?

positive, word-for-word...see why I'm confused? :-)

ok, think I'm getting it now, sounds like what Hurkyl was thinking...

I haven't worked it, but would start with an example in the 2D case in [itex] \mathbb{C}^2[/itex], so n = 1

so say you have a vector (a,b) which is in U, it satisfies the rule with itself
[tex] \sum_i x_i^2 = a^2 + b^2 = 0[/tex]

so, first can you find a vector that satisfies above... and 2nd can you show given a vector in U, there can be no other linearly independent vectors in U?

Last edited:

What does "Show dim U <= n in Vector Subspace of C2n" mean?

This notation is asking you to show that the dimension of a vector subspace, U, is less than or equal to the dimension of the complex vector space, C2n.

What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that when you add two vectors from the subspace, the result is still in the subspace, and when you multiply a vector from the subspace by a scalar, the result is also in the subspace.

What is the dimension of a vector subspace?

The dimension of a vector subspace is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to express any vector in the subspace.

How do you show that dim U <= n for a given vector subspace?

To show that dim U <= n, you need to prove that there exists a set of n linearly independent vectors in U. This can be done through various methods, such as finding a basis for U or showing that the vectors in U satisfy the necessary conditions for linear independence.

Why is it important to show the dimension of a vector subspace?

The dimension of a vector subspace is important because it tells us about the structure and properties of the subspace. It can also help us determine the number of parameters needed to describe a vector in the subspace and can aid in solving equations and systems of equations involving vectors in the subspace.