Show that the expectation value of angular momentum <Lx> is zero

Then substitute these expressions into <Lx> and use the first equation to simplify. Remember that the <l,m| and |l,m> states are orthonormal, so you can use that to simplify further.
Jimmy25

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L±|l,m⟩ = SQRT(l(l+1)−m(m±1)h|l,m±1⟩

L± = Lx ± iLy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to use ladder operators here to show <Lx> is zero.

I start with <Lx>=<l,m|Lx|l,m> but don't know where to go from here. I've tried different things but all the methods I've tried seem to lead to a dead end...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy25 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L±|l,m⟩ = SQRT(l(l+1)−m(m±1)h|l,m±1⟩

L± = Lx ± iLy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to use ladder operators here to show <Lx> is zero.

I start with <Lx>=<l,m|Lx|l,m> but don't know where to go from here. I've tried different things but all the methods I've tried seem to lead to a dead end...

Solve your second equation to get [itex]L_x[/itex] in term of [itex]L_+[/itex] and [itex]L_-[/itex].

Now, substitute this [itex]L_x[/itex] into [itex]\langle L_x \rangle[/itex] and use the first equation to calculate it.

I'm not seeing how that would help. Then I just get an equation in terms of L+, L- and Ly.

Lx=L± minus plus iLy

Can anyone help me out here?

Use what mathfeel said and think about orthogonality of |l,m> states.

You have two equations:
\begin{align*}
\hat{L}_+ &= \hat{L}_x + i\hat{L}_y \\
\hat{L}_- &= \hat{L}_x - i\hat{L}_y
\end{align*}Solve them for Lx in terms of L+ and L-.

1. What is the expectation value of angular momentum?

The expectation value of angular momentum is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents the average value of a physical quantity, in this case, the angular momentum of a system. It is calculated by taking the product of the possible outcomes of a measurement and their probabilities, and then summing them all together.

2. How is the expectation value of angular momentum calculated?

To calculate the expectation value of angular momentum, one must first determine the possible outcomes of a measurement, represented by different eigenvalues. Then, the probability of each outcome is determined using the wave function of the system. Finally, the expectation value is calculated by taking the product of each outcome and its probability, and summing them all together.

3. What does it mean for the expectation value of angular momentum to be zero?

A zero expectation value for angular momentum means that, on average, the angular momentum of the system is equal to zero. This could indicate a state of equilibrium or symmetry in the system, where the angular momentum is evenly distributed and cancels out.

4. Why is it important to show that the expectation value of angular momentum is zero?

Showing that the expectation value of angular momentum is zero can provide important insights into the behavior of a quantum system. It can reveal symmetries or conservation laws that govern the system, and can also help to validate the mathematical models used to describe the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of expectation value of angular momentum?

The concept of expectation value of angular momentum has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules. It is also important in fields such as materials science, where it can help to understand the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic level.