Show the potential obeys Poisson's Equation

• Thread starter azupol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the potential was found to be: V(x,y,z)=1/4piε [q/(x2 + y2 + (z-d)2 )1/2 ] -q/(x2 + y2 + (z+d)2 )1/2 ] and the induced surface charge density is -qd/2pi(x2+y2+d2)3/2. I attempted to twice differentiate the potential, and tried to make it equal to the induced surface charge density, to check that after simplification they were both equal, but got stuck at the second partial derivative of V with respect to z. There must be a better way to solve this
azupol

Homework Statement

In class we were given the classic image problem of a point charge on the z-axis (at z=d) above an infinite grounded conducting plane, the xy plane in this case. We found the potential by getting rid of the plane and placing an image charge at a distance z= -d. Now the question is, how do we show that this potential obeys Poisson's equation in the region of interest, in this case z>0

Homework Equations

Poisson's Equation:
poisson.gif

And the potential was found to be: V(x,y,z)=1/4piε [q/(x2 + y2 + (z-d)2 )1/2 ] -q/(x2 + y2 + (z+d)2 )1/2 ]Induced surface charge density (i.e. the induced charge in the conducting plane) is -qd/2pi(x2+y2+d2)3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to twice differentiate the potential, and tried to make it equal to the induced surface charge density, to check that after simplification they were both equal, but got stuck at the second partial derivative of V with respect to z. There must be a better way to solve this.

We are using Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics, and our prof suggested we reference the section on the Dirac delta function. I'm failing to see how the Dirac Delta would help in this case

Physics news on Phys.org
The induced surface charge density is at z = 0 and not at z > 0. You have replaced all of it by a mirror charge in z = -d and should not expect it to come out of applying the Laplace operator to the potential. As long as you get a Dirac distribution in z = d, x = y = 0, you are fine.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. I'm aware the induced surface charge is in the plane, at z=0. To compensate for the induced surface charge, we place an appropriate charge a distance below the xy plane such that the boundary condition of V=0 at z=0 would be satisfied. What I'm wondering is how can I show that this potential obeys Poisson's equation?

hmm. This is a problem you can think about intuitively. Poisson equation is
[tex]\nabla^2 V = - \frac{\rho}{\varepsilon_0}[/tex]
And you have two situations 1) charges on plate. 2) image charge. (and in both situations, there is also the original charge). You are trying to show that ##V## satisfies the same Poisson equation in both situations, for z>0. In other words, you want to show that
[tex]\nabla^2 V_1 = \nabla^2 V_2[/tex]
for z>0. So, from this, what must be the relationship between ##\rho_1## and ##\rho_2## when z>0 ? And can you show that this relationship does hold in this case?

It seems ρ1 = ρ2 in z>0, otherwise the potentials would not agree right? I'm not sure what I can do to show the relationship agrees, maybe take V3=V2-V1 and show that difference must result in a charge of 0 in z>0?

You seemed to want to get a surface charge at z = 0. This is not going to happen as it is not part of your volume. The only charge you should be getting is the original one. Think of this: What is the Laplace operator applied to the potential of the mirror charge?

Edit: Note that the solution to Poisson's equation is unique given the boundary conditions and charge density. Thus if you find one solution that gives the correct charge and boundary conditions, it is unique. The way to show this is very similar to what you proposed to do.

azupol said:
It seems ρ1 = ρ2 in z>0, otherwise the potentials would not agree right?
right, so now you want to show that ##\rho_1=\rho_2## in the region z>0. You are given the second potential explicitly. You can get the answer just with reasoning here, but since your professor hinted at using Dirac Delta functions, you should probably apply the Laplace operator to the potential, as Orodruin says. It is not a standard kind of calculation, you need to use the properties of the Dirac Delta, like your professor hinted at.

Thanks for the pointers, I think I've figured it out. Applying the Laplace operator to the potential, I get that ## \Delta V ## will go to infinity at (0, 0, d), but this is precisely calculating the divergence of 1/r2, which is ## 4\pi \delta (r) ## and I think I can take it from there, thanks for the help!

1. What is Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of electric potential in a given space. It relates the potential to the distribution of charges in that space through the use of differential equations.

2. How does the potential obey Poisson's Equation?

The potential obeys Poisson's Equation because it is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that has been experimentally verified. It accurately describes the relationship between electric potential and charge distribution, and has been widely accepted by the scientific community.

3. What are some real-world applications of Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics and heat transfer.

4. How is Poisson's Equation related to Gauss's Law?

Poisson's Equation and Gauss's Law are closely related. While Poisson's Equation describes the potential in a given space, Gauss's Law describes the electric field in that space. Together, they provide a comprehensive understanding of the behavior of electric fields and potentials.

5. Can Poisson's Equation be solved for any charge distribution?

Yes, Poisson's Equation can be solved for any charge distribution, as long as the boundary conditions of the system are known. However, in some cases, the equations may be too complex to solve analytically and numerical methods may be used instead.