Showing a set of matrices is a direct sum.

In summary, to show that MnXn is the direct sum of W1 and W2, we must show that V = W1 + W2 and W1 ∩ W2 = {0}. To do so, we let A be a matrix from W1 and B be a matrix from W2, and we can write V as A + B = AT + (-BT) = (A + (-B))T. Therefore, MnXn is the direct sum of W1 and W2.
trap101
Let W1 = {A[itex]\in[/itex] MnXn(R)| A = AT} and W2 = {A[itex]\in[/itex] MnXn(R)| A = -AT}

Show that MnXn = W1 (+) W2

where the definition of direct sum is:

V is the direct sum of W1 and W2 in symbols:

V = W1 (+) W2 if:

V = W1 + W2 and
W1 [itex]\cap[/itex] W2 = {0}

Attempt:

I figure I have to show each property individually. So for the first property I tried to do a manipulation:

AT + (-AT) = (A + (-A))T = 0T

Then I added A to each side: A + (A + (-A))T = A + 0T

Did I even show what was needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you appear to be misunderstanding what "W1= {A[itex]\in[/itex] Mxn|A= AT}" and "W2= {A[itex]\in[/itex] Mnxn|A= -AT[/sub]}" mean. Members of V are of the form A+ B where A is in W1 and B is in W2. You cannot use the same matrix, A, for each.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you appear to be misunderstanding what "W1= {A[itex]\in[/itex] Mxn|A= AT}" and "W2= {A[itex]\in[/itex] Mnxn|A= -AT[/sub]}" mean. Members of V are of the form A+ B where A is in W1 and B is in W2. You cannot use the same matrix, A, for each.

How's this:

Letting A be a matrix from W1 and B be a matrix from W2:

V = A + B
= AT+ (-BT)
= (A+(-B))T

Can I bring out the -1 and have: (-1)(A+B)T?

1. What does it mean for a set of matrices to be a direct sum?

For a set of matrices to be a direct sum, it means that the matrices can be decomposed into smaller matrices that do not share any common eigenvectors. This is a way of expressing that the matrices are "independent" of each other.

2. How do you show that a set of matrices is a direct sum?

To show that a set of matrices is a direct sum, you need to prove that the matrices are linearly independent and that their sum spans the entire vector space. This can be done through various methods, such as finding a basis for the vector space, diagonalizing the matrices, or using the direct sum decomposition theorem.

3. Can a set of non-square matrices be a direct sum?

Yes, a set of non-square matrices can still be a direct sum. The concept of direct sum applies to any set of matrices, as long as they can be decomposed into smaller matrices that do not share any common eigenvectors.

4. What is the significance of showing that a set of matrices is a direct sum?

Showing that a set of matrices is a direct sum can be useful in various applications, such as in linear algebra and quantum mechanics. It allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the matrices, as well as providing insight into the properties and behavior of the matrices.

5. Is it possible for a set of matrices to have more than one direct sum decomposition?

Yes, it is possible for a set of matrices to have more than one direct sum decomposition. This is because there can be multiple ways to decompose a set of matrices into smaller matrices that do not share common eigenvectors. However, these different decompositions will still lead to the same overall result of a direct sum.