Showing S where ax=0 is a subspace and A where ax=k is affine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tk1234
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Let a be a fixed nonzero vector in R^n

a. Show that the set S of all vectors x such at ax=0 is a subspace of R^n.
b. show that if k is a nonzero real number, then the set A of all vectors x such that ax=k is an affine subspace of R^n, but not a linear subspace.how do i even show this.. I am so confused. help please! thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tk1234 said:
Let a be a fixed nonzero vector in R^n

a. Show that the set S of all vectors x such at ax=0 is a subspace of R^n.
b. show that if k is a nonzero real number, then the set A of all vectors x such that ax=k is an affine subspace of R^n, but not a linear subspace.


how do i even show this.. I am so confused. help please! thanks.

Try?? Pretty please? Tell me what you might need to prove S is a subspace. You can look it up in the book if you want to. What's the definition of a subspace?
 
i know that S needs to be closed under addition and numerical multiplication.. I am just not sure how to show this?!
 
tk1234 said:
i know that S needs to be closed under addition and numerical multiplication.. I am just not sure how to show this?!

If x1 is in S then a.x1=0. If x2 is in S then a.x2=0. (I'm using '.' for dot product). Can you give me some reason why that would mean x1+x2 is in S? What would you have show to prove x1+x2 is in S? That would give you closure under addition.