Showing Linear Subspace & Affine Subspace of Vector a in R^n

In summary, to show that S is a subspace of R^n, it must be shown that it is closed under addition and numerical multiplication. This can be proven by showing that if x1 and x2 are in S (set of all vectors x such that ax=0), then their sum x1+x2 is also in S. This would demonstrate closure under addition and fulfill the definition of a subspace.
tk1234
Let a be a fixed nonzero vector in R^n

a. Show that the set S of all vectors x such at ax=0 is a subspace of R^n.
b. show that if k is a nonzero real number, then the set A of all vectors x such that ax=k is an affine subspace of R^n, but not a linear subspace.how do i even show this.. I am so confused. help please! thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tk1234 said:
Let a be a fixed nonzero vector in R^n

a. Show that the set S of all vectors x such at ax=0 is a subspace of R^n.
b. show that if k is a nonzero real number, then the set A of all vectors x such that ax=k is an affine subspace of R^n, but not a linear subspace.

how do i even show this.. I am so confused. help please! thanks.

Try?? Pretty please? Tell me what you might need to prove S is a subspace. You can look it up in the book if you want to. What's the definition of a subspace?

i know that S needs to be closed under addition and numerical multiplication.. I am just not sure how to show this?!

tk1234 said:
i know that S needs to be closed under addition and numerical multiplication.. I am just not sure how to show this?!

If x1 is in S then a.x1=0. If x2 is in S then a.x2=0. (I'm using '.' for dot product). Can you give me some reason why that would mean x1+x2 is in S? What would you have show to prove x1+x2 is in S? That would give you closure under addition.

Related to Showing Linear Subspace & Affine Subspace of Vector a in R^n

1. What is a linear subspace?

A linear subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, any linear combination of vectors in the subspace will also be in the subspace.

2. How do you show that a set of vectors is a linear subspace?

To show that a set of vectors is a linear subspace, you need to prove that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This can be done by showing that the sum of any two vectors in the set is also in the set, and that multiplying any vector in the set by a scalar also results in a vector in the set.

3. What is an affine subspace?

An affine subspace is a subset of a vector space that can be expressed as the translation of a linear subspace. In other words, it is a set of points that can be shifted to form a linear subspace.

4. How do you show that a set of points is an affine subspace?

To show that a set of points is an affine subspace, you need to prove that it can be written as the sum of a linear subspace and a fixed vector. This can be done by showing that the difference between any two points in the set is a vector in the linear subspace.

5. How are linear subspaces and affine subspaces related?

Linear subspaces and affine subspaces are closely related, as every affine subspace can be expressed as a translation of a linear subspace. Additionally, every linear subspace is also an affine subspace, as it can be translated by the zero vector.