Showing that the Lie derivative of a function is the directional deriv

In summary, Lie derivatives of (k,l) tensors are defined as the limit of the difference between the pullback of the tensor under a family of diffeomorphisms generated by a vector field and the original tensor, divided by a small parameter t. The Lie derivative of an ordinary function is given by the action of the vector field on the scalar, or the directional derivative. This can be seen by considering the one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms generated by the vector field and using the definition of the generating vector field.
center o bass
Hi!

To boost my understanding of the mathematics in relation to general relativity, I'm reading about Lie derivatives in Sean Carroll's "Spacetime and geometry". Here he defines the Lie derivative of a (k,l) tensor at the point p along the vectorfield V as

$$\mathcal{L}_V T^{\mu_1 \cdots \mu_k}_{\ \ \ \nu_1 \cdots \nu_l} = \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{\Delta_t T^{\mu_1 \cdots \mu_k}_{\ \ \ \nu_1 \cdots \nu_l}}{t} $$

where

$$\Delta_t T^{\mu_1 \cdots \mu_k}_{\ \ \ \nu_1 \cdots \nu_l}(p) = \phi^*_t[T^{\mu_1 \cdots \mu_k}_{\ \ \ \nu_1 \cdots \nu_l}(\phi_t(p))] - T^{\mu_1 \cdots \mu_k}_{\ \ \ \nu_1 \cdots \nu_l}(p)$$

and ##\phi_t## is a family of diffeomorphisms parametrised by ##t## generated by the vector field V. The * here denotes the pullback operation. In the book at page 432 he states that one should after a moments reflection be able to be convinced that the Lie derivative of an ordinary function is given by

$$\mathcal{L}_V f = V(f)$$

i.e. that it is just given by the action of the vector V on the scalar (the directional derivative). However I do not see how this follows from the above definition. If I just plug in a (0,0)-tensor (i.e. a scalar) I get

$$\mathcal{L}_V(p) = \lim_{t\to 0} \frac{\phi^*_t[f (\phi_t(p))] - f(p)}{t}$$

and I do not see how this is supposed to reduce to the directional derivative. Can someone enlighten me? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the manifold be ##M## and the vector field be expressed in local coordinates as

$$ V = \sum_\mu v^\mu \partial_\mu.$$

The family of diffeomorphisms generated by ##V## is the map ##\phi_t:\mathbb{R}\times M \rightarrow M##, where

$$\phi_t: (t, p^1 , \ldots ,p^n) \mapsto (v^1 t + p^1 , \ldots, v^n t + p^n).$$

If you now apply this to your formula (by Taylor expanding ##f(\phi_t)## or something more rigorous), you should be able to arrive at the result.

There's a very easy way to see it. Let ##\xi## be a vector field and ##\alpha## a scalar field. Taking ##p\in M##, and ##\phi_t## the one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms generated by ##\xi## on a neighborhood of ##p##, we have ##\xi|_p (\alpha) = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}##.

Now ##\phi_t^{*}(\alpha) = \alpha \circ \phi_t## hence
##(\mathcal{L}_{\xi}\alpha)(p) = \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{(\phi_t^{*}(\alpha))(p) - \alpha(p)}{t}\\ = \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p) - (\alpha \circ \phi_0)(p)}{t}\\ = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}\\ = \xi|_{p}(\alpha)##.

WannabeNewton said:
There's a very easy way to see it. Let ##\xi## be a vector field and ##\alpha## a scalar field. Taking ##p\in M##, and ##\phi_t## the one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms generated by ##\xi## on a neighborhood of ##p##, we have ##\xi|_p (\alpha) = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}##.

Now ##\phi_t^{*}(\alpha) = \alpha \circ \phi_t## hence
##(\mathcal{L}_{\xi}\alpha)(p) = \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{(\phi_t^{*}(\alpha))(p) - \alpha(p)}{t}\\ = \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p) - (\alpha \circ \phi_0)(p)}{t}\\ = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}\\ = \xi|_{p}(\alpha)##.

Thanks! The only think I'm not sure if I understand is why

##\xi|_p (\alpha) = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}##.

I might not have the definition of the generating vector field straight. Equation (B.3) in Carroll does not help that much.

Last edited:
It's because ##\gamma(t) = \phi_t(p)## is an integral curve of ##\xi## that starts at ##p## (by definition of what it means for ##\phi_t## to be the one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms generated by ##\xi##) so ##\xi|_p(\alpha) = \dot{\gamma}|_p (\alpha) = \frac{d}{dt}(\alpha \circ \gamma)|_{t = 0} = \frac{d}{dt}\{(\alpha \circ \phi_t)(p)\}|_{t = 0}##.

1. What is the Lie derivative of a function?

The Lie derivative of a function is a mathematical tool used to describe how a function changes along a given direction or flow. It measures the rate of change of the function with respect to a vector field.

2. How is the Lie derivative related to the directional derivative?

The Lie derivative is a special case of the directional derivative, where the direction is given by a vector field. It measures how a function changes along the flow of the vector field.

3. What is the significance of the Lie derivative in differential geometry?

The Lie derivative is a fundamental concept in differential geometry, used to study the behavior of geometric objects under smooth transformations. It is a key tool in understanding the curvature and symmetries of a space.

4. How is the Lie derivative calculated?

The Lie derivative of a function is calculated by taking the directional derivative of the function along the flow of the vector field and subtracting the derivative of the function with respect to the vector field itself. This can be expressed mathematically as [L_X, f] = X(f) - df/dX.

5. What are some applications of the Lie derivative?

The Lie derivative has various applications in physics, including in the study of fluid dynamics, relativity, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in machine learning and optimization algorithms to model and analyze the behavior of systems. Additionally, it has important implications in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras.