Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Sick freak kills first-graders

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-connecticut-school-shooting-20121214,0,4678476.story [Broken]

I am at a loss of words here. I can almost, almost (but not quite) understand it when a bullied high schooler brings a gun to school and shoots his high school bullies. But what could possibly go through an adult's mind to convince him to grab several guns and shoot up kindergarten classes?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2
    Re: Sick freak kills kindergartners

Nuff said. I'm beyond done with this. We need to do whatever it takes to stop this trend.

My fiance works at an elementary school. I almost hope she doesn't read about this.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

@ kktv11news : Child victims were just 5-10 years old. CBS says they were killed execution-style. 2nd suspect in custody, not clear yet if he was involved.

Also heard most were from one classroom. Close to 30 dead now. This is so bad.

6. Dec 14, 2012 #5

IMP

PLEASE don't use this tragic event to further your opinion of guns laws. This is not the time or place.

I just don't understand how he could kill an entire classroom full of elementary children. Seriously, if you can't take it anymore then get yourself out of the game but leave everyone else alone! I have heard of some cowardly acts but this one is just beyond words. There are 20+ parents who just got the worst news you could possibly receive, I can't even comprehend it...

7. Dec 14, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The gunman's mother is a teacher at the school.

8. Dec 14, 2012 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Is this really all that surprising? People are acting like it's a novel act never before seen in recent history. Humans are evil creatures and are capable of horrible things. Sadly those poor children had to be at the blunt end of that.

9. Dec 14, 2012 #8

The minute it doesn't become surprising or shocking is the minute I give up on humanity.

10. Dec 14, 2012 #9

IMP

It is way beyond surprising, I can't even comprehend that someone could actually do this.

11. Dec 14, 2012 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

People do these kinds of things all the time...it's horrible but it isn't rare

12. Dec 14, 2012 #11

IMP

I believe she was found dead in his home...

13. Dec 14, 2012 #12

IMP

They just released his name, apparently he killed his father in New Jersey, went to Newtown killed his mother who worked at the elementary school (which so far is the only connection they have found between him and the school). Then he went to the school...

14. Dec 14, 2012 #13

Evo

Which news are you listening to?

15. Dec 14, 2012 #14

Really!? Find me the last time a guy killed his mom, dad and 30 kids/adults at an elementary school. I'll give you gold membership for life if you can find that act happen within the last year.

16. Dec 14, 2012 #15

IMP

17. Dec 14, 2012 #16

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Are you actually questioning that these kinds of atrocities don't go on in various third world countries (Thailand, Indonesia, Burma, subsets of Africa and South America etc.)? I'm not saying it is anything specific to schools but mass murder of children is not something that doesn't happen frequently in the world. America isn't the only country in existence. Anyways, the point is that humans are terrible creatures and this kind of appalling behavior is a testament to how messed up this species has become but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people do these things.

18. Dec 14, 2012 #17

My vote and voice doesn't count in other countries. Obviously I am focused on the American culture at the moment.

19. Dec 14, 2012 #18

IMP

I am glad I am not desensitized to events like this regardless of how "common" they may be. I try to put myself in one of those parents shoes: Go home, see presents under Christmas tree, never to be opened by anyone, plan funeral instead. I really just can't comprehend how I would be able to deal with something like this if it was my child. I can't wait to get home tonight and hug my kids, they are in for a very hard embrace...

20. Dec 14, 2012 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've said it better than I could. I can't comprehend how someone could do something like this to small children.

21. Dec 14, 2012 #20

jedishrfu

The 1966 UT Austin Texas sniper did something similar. The conclusion was that he was suffering from a brain tumor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_sniper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook