Signal flow graph, describing a RC circuit?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of signal flow graphs to describe a RC circuit. The current and voltage equations were shown, and it was explained that substitution for G, Z(s), and I1 was necessary. The relationship between V3 and I2 was also explained, and it was mentioned that the number of equations needed and which circuit elements to describe may vary.
dominicfhk
Signal flow graph, describing a RC circuit?

Hi, guys. This is my first post on this forum!
I'm trying to understand this example in my textbook.
1z19oxf.jpg

The current and voltage equations are:
20kerfm.jpg

where G=1/R, Z(s)=1/Cs, and I1(s)=I1
Then the text says the following signal flow graph can be obtained:
kb81s0.jpg

And finally we can somehow obtain the transfer function:
125137s.jpg

First question, why is it necessary to do the substitution for G, Z(s) and I1?
For the fourth equation, it says V3=I2Z, where Z(s)=1/Cs. Therefore, V3=I2/Cs (voltage=current/capacitance)? Where does this relationship comes from?
Lastly, how do I know how many equations do I need? And which circuit elements should I describe?

I might have more questions later, but I couldn't proceed without know the basics.
Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
V3 = I2Z , where Z(s) = 1/Cs this is because voltage across capacitance is given as CdV/dt=I thus taking laplace transform on both the sides we get sC*V(s)=I(s)
and V(s)=I(s)/sC therefore V3=I2/Cs.

1. What is a signal flow graph in the context of an RC circuit?

A signal flow graph is a graphical representation of the flow of signals through a system or circuit. In the context of an RC circuit, it illustrates the input and output signals, as well as the various components and nodes in the circuit.

2. How is a signal flow graph used to describe an RC circuit?

A signal flow graph is used to represent the transfer function of an RC circuit, which describes the relationship between the input and output signals. It also allows for the analysis of the circuit's response to different input signals and the identification of key components in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a signal flow graph to describe an RC circuit?

Signal flow graphs provide a visual representation of a circuit, making it easier to understand and analyze. They also allow for the simplification of complex circuits and the identification of dominant paths and nodes. Additionally, they can be used to analyze the stability and frequency response of a circuit.

4. How do you construct a signal flow graph for an RC circuit?

The first step in constructing a signal flow graph for an RC circuit is to identify the input and output signals. Next, each component in the circuit is represented as a node, and the connections between components are shown as directed edges. The direction of the edges is determined by the flow of the input and output signals. Finally, the transfer functions for each component are written next to the corresponding edges.

5. How does a signal flow graph help with the analysis of an RC circuit?

A signal flow graph allows for the application of various analysis techniques, such as Mason's gain formula and Kirchhoff's laws. These techniques can help determine the transfer function and overall response of the circuit. Additionally, the graph can be manipulated to simplify the circuit and identify key components, making the analysis process more manageable.