Does Unit Consistency Affect Calculations in the E = mcΔT Formula?

• Thread starter jevillan
  • Start date
In summary, when calculating E = mct, it is important to keep the units consistent. Using cgs and MKS units interchangeably can lead to incorrect answers. To avoid this, convert units to Joules/kg before plugging in values.
jevillan
This is probably a dumb question but, when calculating E = mct, if mass is in g, then c should be in J/g·°C right? Similarly, if mass is in kg, then c should be in J/kg°C? If i mix any of them up and do m in g and c in j/kg then my answer would be off right?
thanks!

(this is my first post, i wasnt sure if it goes in the homework thread since it's not a specific problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
jevillan said:
This is probably a dumb question but, when calculating E = mct, if mass is in g, then c should be in J/g·°C right? Similarly, if mass is in kg, then c should be in J/kg°C? If i mix any of them up and do m in g and c in j/kg then my answer would be off right?
thanks!

(this is my first post, i wasnt sure if it goes in the homework thread since it's not a specific problem)
Welcome to PF.

You should keep your units in the same system. You cannot use cgs (centimetres, grams, seconds) units interchangeably with MKS units (metres, kilograms, seconds). You have to convert.

A Joule is a measure of energy in MKS units. A Joule is one Newton x 1 metre. Since a Newton is 1 kg x 1 m/sec^2, a Joule is also 1 kg x 1 (m/sec)^2.

So if you are trying to find [itex]\Delta Q = mC\Delta T[/itex] in Joules but you are given the heat capacity Joules/gram, and mass in kilograms, convert c to Joules/kg before plugging the value in.

AM

1. What is the meaning of E = mct?

E = mct is a formula from the field of physics that relates energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c) in a vacuum (t).

2. How is E = mct derived?

E = mct is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the energy and mass of an object are equivalent and can be converted from one to the other using the speed of light.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in E = mct?

The units for energy (E) are joules (J), the units for mass (m) are kilograms (kg), and the units for the speed of light (c) are meters per second (m/s).

4. Can E = mct be used to calculate the energy of any object?

Yes, E = mct can be used to calculate the energy of any object, as long as the object is moving at a constant speed in a vacuum.

5. How is E = mct important in modern science?

E = mct is a fundamental equation in physics and plays a crucial role in many modern scientific theories and technologies, such as nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and space travel.