Silly work done on a car question.

In summary, 139000 J is required to accelerate a car from 22.8 m/s to 27.7 m/s. The car has a mass of 1.123x10^3 kg.
MarcZZ

Homework Statement

It takes 139 kJ of work to accelerate a car from 22.8 m/s to 27.7 m/s. What is the car's mass?

Homework Equations

Well, we know that work is also known as J and J is = to kg*m^2/s^2 so we can use the equation J = m(vf - vi) to solve this I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

So We know that 139 kJ is equal to 139x10^3 J. Also m(27.7 m/s - 22.8 m/s) = m(4.9m/s), so combing these we assume that 139000 J = ?kg(4.9m/s) But from here I'm getting confused badly. I think I'm misusing the equation somehow as I'm not sure how to manipulate the 4.9m/s in order to get rid of the kg*m^2/s^2 units on the other side.

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcZZ said:
Well, we know that work is also known as J and J is = to kg*m^2/s^2 so we can use the equation J = m(vf - vi) to solve this I think.
The work done will equal the change in the car's kinetic energy--not momentum. (That's why your units are not working out.) How would you calculate that?

KE = 1/2mv^2. I had pondered this, so in other words it's possible to use my change in velocity in place of V in the KE formula?

MarcZZ said:
KE = 1/2mv^2. I had pondered this, so in other words it's possible to use my change in velocity in place of V in the KE formula?
What you need is ΔKE = KEf - KEi.

I'm sorry but how can that be usable if you don't have the mass? Isn't it essentially equal to m = 2K / (delta V)^2. Sorry, I'm getting confused I just don't see this.

Edit: Never mind. I think I'm misunderstanding stuff because some notes I took in my lecture I miscopied. :/

MarcZZ said:
I'm sorry but how can that be usable if you don't have the mass?
You'll be using this to solve for the mass. (As you've probably figured out by now.)

Doc Al said:
You'll be using this to solve for the mass. (As you've probably figured out by now.)

Ahh never mind. I figure out what the problem was, I had used the formula you mentioned before but divided it by 2 as opposed to multiplying it. I've got it now the answer is 1.123x10^3 kg. Thanks very much for your help. :)

Related to Silly work done on a car question.

1. What is considered "silly work" on a car?

The term "silly work" is subjective and can vary depending on who you ask. However, it generally refers to any unnecessary or impractical modifications or repairs done to a car.

2. Why would someone do silly work on their car?

Some people may do silly work on their car as a form of self-expression or to stand out from others. Others may do it as a hobby or for the challenge of it. However, it is important to note that silly work can often compromise the safety and functionality of a car.

3. Can silly work on a car be dangerous?

Yes, silly work on a car can be dangerous. Modifications or repairs that are not done properly or are not compatible with the car's original design can compromise its safety and increase the risk of accidents.

4. Is there any benefit to doing silly work on a car?

Aside from personal satisfaction or enjoyment, there are usually no practical benefits to doing silly work on a car. In fact, it can often be a waste of time and money and may even decrease the value of the car.

5. How can I avoid doing silly work on my car?

To avoid doing silly work on your car, it is important to do thorough research and consult with a professional before making any modifications or repairs. It is also important to prioritize safety and functionality over aesthetics or personal preference.