1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly work done on a car question.

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It takes 139 kJ of work to accelerate a car from 22.8 m/s to 27.7 m/s. What is the car's mass?

2. Relevant equations

Well, we know that work is also known as J and J is = to kg*m^2/s^2 so we can use the equation J = m(vf - vi) to solve this I think.

3. The attempt at a solution

So We know that 139 kJ is equal to 139x10^3 J. Also m(27.7 m/s - 22.8 m/s) = m(4.9m/s), so combing these we assume that 139000 J = ?kg(4.9m/s) But from here I'm getting confused badly. I think I'm misusing the equation somehow as I'm not sure how to manipulate the 4.9m/s in order to get rid of the kg*m^2/s^2 units on the other side.

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The work done will equal the change in the car's kinetic energy--not momentum. (That's why your units are not working out.) How would you calculate that?

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    KE = 1/2mv^2. I had pondered this, so in other words it's possible to use my change in velocity in place of V in the KE formula?

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

Doc Al

What you need is ΔKE = KEf - KEi.

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    I'm sorry but how can that be usable if you don't have the mass? Isn't it essentially equal to m = 2K / (delta V)^2. Sorry, I'm getting confused I just don't see this.

Edit: Never mind. I think I'm misunderstanding stuff because some notes I took in my lecture I miscopied. :/

7. Nov 30, 2011 #6

Doc Al

You'll be using this to solve for the mass. (As you've probably figured out by now.)

8. Nov 30, 2011 #7
    Ahh never mind. I figure out what the problem was, I had used the formula you mentioned before but divided it by 2 as opposed to multiplying it. I've got it now the answer is 1.123x10^3 kg. Thanks very much for your help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook