Simple but unsure, compound questions

• Thread starter vysis
  • Start date
In summary, the given information includes a boy pulling on a box at a 31 degree angle with 21N of force, while the box remains stationary. The co-efficient of static friction is 0.55. The question asks for the minimum mass needed. When using the component method, it is necessary to calculate both the horizontal and vertical components, as solving for only the horizontal component may result in an incorrect answer. The equation for the maximum static frictional force is mu*mg, but the normal force is not always equal to the weight of the object. Therefore, it is important to examine the forces acting in the vertical plane.
vysis
A boy is pulling on a box at a 31 degree angle using 21N of force. The box remains stationary. The co-efficient of static friction is 0.55. What is the minimum mass?

When I use the component method to solve this problem, do I need to calculate the mass for both the Horizontal and the Vertical and add them up? Or just the Horizontal?

(I ask this because when I solved for horizontal, the textbook said it was wrong. However, when I solved for both vertical and horizontal, I got the right answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
vysis said:
A boy is pulling on a box at a 31 degree angle using 21N of force. The box remains stationary. The co-efficient of static friction is 0.55. What is the minimum mass?

When I use the component method to solve this problem, do I need to calculate the mass for both the Horizontal and the Vertical and add them up? Or just the Horizontal?

(I ask this because when I solved for horizontal, the textbook said it was wrong. However, when I solved for both vertical and horizontal, I got the right answer)
I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you post your working?

Basically:

givens
v(1) = 0m/s
F(t) = 21N (31 degree)
(mu kinetic) = 0.5
(mu static) = 0.55
a = 0m/s^2

X component
Fnet=ma
F(t) - F(f) = ma
F(t) = (mu)Mg
m = F(t) / (mu)g
m= 18N / 0.55*9.8
m = 3.3kg

Y Component

F(net) = ma
F(t) = Fg
F(t) = m/g
m = 21Sin31 / 9.8
m = 1.1kg

the answer from the textbook is 4.4kg

Here's your error:
vysis said:
X component
Fnet=ma
F(t) - F(f) = ma
F(t) = (mu)Mg
m = F(t) / (mu)g
m= 18N / 0.55*9.8
m = 3.3kg
What is the equation for the maximal static frictional force?

Hootenanny said:
Here's your error:

What is the equation for the maximal static frictional force?

isn't the equation (mu)mg? mu = F/N right? So therefore F=(mu)N -> F = (mu)mg?

vysis said:
mu = F/N right?
This is correct.
vysis said:
So therefore F=(mu)N -> F = (mu)mg?
But this isn't. The normal force isn't necessarily equal to the weight of the object. This is only case on a horizontal surface when the only two forces acting in the vertical plane is the object's weight and the normal force.

You should start by examining the forces acting in the vertical plane.

Hootenanny said:
This is correct.

But this isn't. The normal force isn't necessarily equal to the weight of the object. This is only case on a horizontal surface when the only two forces acting in the vertical plane is the object's weight and the normal force.

You should start by examining the forces acting in the vertical plane.

omg, how did I miss that 0_0

thank you, everything is 100% clear now =P

vysis said:
omg, how did I miss that 0_0

thank you, everything is 100% clear now =P
A pleasure :smile:

1. What is a simple but unsure question?

A simple but unsure question is a question that can be answered with a yes or no, but the person asking the question is not confident in their answer or is seeking additional information.

2. How can simple but unsure questions be helpful in scientific research?

Simple but unsure questions can be helpful in scientific research because they can lead to more specific and detailed inquiries, which can ultimately lead to new discoveries and insights.

3. Can simple but unsure questions be used to form hypotheses?

Yes, simple but unsure questions can be used to form hypotheses. They can help guide the direction of research and provide a starting point for further investigation.

4. What is the difference between a simple but unsure question and a compound question?

The main difference between a simple but unsure question and a compound question is that a compound question contains more than one part or idea, while a simple but unsure question is typically shorter and more straightforward.

5. How can scientists ensure that their simple but unsure questions are valid?

To ensure the validity of simple but unsure questions, scientists can review and revise them with their peers, conduct background research, and test them through experimentation or data analysis.