Calculating the Maximum Energy Stored in a Compressed Spring

• Thread starter Stroodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, a simple compression problem involves reducing the size of a data set while maintaining its essential information. This is achieved through various algorithms and techniques such as removing repeated data and using mathematical formulas. The benefits of compression include reduced storage space, faster data transmission, and improved data security. However, there are also drawbacks, such as minimal space savings and longer decompression times. Common compression formats include ZIP, RAR, and GZIP for general file compression and JPEG and MP3 for specific types of data.
Stroodle
Hi there,

For this question, I've been asked to calculate the maximum energy a spring can store when compressed by 8cm. I've already found the spring constant to be [tex]5.0\times 10^5\ Nm^{-1}[/tex] (which is correct), so I thought it was just a simple matter of pluggung the values into the formula: [tex]E_e=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

When I do this I get the answer: [tex]2.0\times10^5\ J[/tex], but the book says the answer is [tex]1.6\times10^3\ J[/tex]Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the full text of the problem.

1. What is a simple compression problem?

A simple compression problem is a task where the goal is to reduce the size of a data set while preserving the essential information it contains. This is typically done by removing unnecessary or redundant data, making the file more efficient to store and transmit.

2. How is data compression achieved?

Data compression is achieved through various algorithms and techniques. Some common methods include removing repeated data, replacing data with shorter codes, and using mathematical formulas to represent data more compactly.

3. What are the benefits of compression?

Compression offers several benefits including reduced storage space, faster data transmission, and improved data security. It also allows for more efficient use of resources and can help save costs in terms of storage and network bandwidth.

4. Are there any drawbacks to compression?

While compression has many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Some data may not compress well, resulting in minimal space savings. Additionally, decompression of compressed data can take longer and require more processing power.

5. What are some common compression formats?

Some common compression formats include ZIP, RAR, and GZIP. These formats are often used for compressing and archiving files, while other formats such as JPEG and MP3 are used specifically for compressing images and audio files, respectively.