Simple Fluids Problem: Cylinder on Oil with Added Weight

• Thread starter BlueDevil14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, a cylindrical disk of wood weighing 47.0 N and having a diameter of 30 cm floats on a cylinder of oil of density 0.850 g/cm^3. The gauge pressure at the top of the oil column is 665 Pa. When a weight of 88.0 N is added on top of the wood, the pressure at the bottom of the oil increases to 1901 Pa, resulting in a change in pressure of 1236 Pa. The change in pressure at the halfway down in the oil is also 1236 Pa.
BlueDevil14

Homework Statement

A cylindrical disk of wood weighing 47.0 N and having a diameter of 30 cm floats on a cylinder of oil of density 0.850 g/cm^3 (the figure). The cylinder of oil is 75.0 cm deep and has a diameter the same as that of the wood.

a) What is the gauge pressure at the top of the oil column?

b) Suppose now that someone puts a weight of 88.0 N on top of the wood, but no oil seeps around the edge of the wood. What is the change in pressure at the bottom of the oil?

c) What is the change in pressure at the halfway down in the oil?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]P=\frac{F}{A} \Rightarrow P=\frac{47.0 \mathrm{N}}{.071 \mathrm{ m}^3}=665 \mathrm{ Pa}[/tex]

this answer is correct

b) why would the pressure change at the bottom not be equal to the pressure change at top. i.e 1245 Pa - 665 Pa?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BlueDevil14 said:
b) why would the pressure change at the bottom not be equal to the pressure change at top. i.e 1245 Pa - 665 Pa?
Why are you subtracting 665 Pa?

I was thinking the change in pressure a the bottom would be equal to the change in pressure at the top, and the final-initial at top would be 1245-665 Pa.

BlueDevil14 said:
I was thinking the change in pressure a the bottom would be equal to the change in pressure at the top,
That makes sense.
and the final-initial at top would be 1245-665 Pa.
When you add the weight onto the wood, how much does the pressure increase?

oh... I forgot to add the weights!

then in should be [tex]P_{2}=\frac{(47.0+88) \mathrm{N}}{.071 \mathrm{ m}^3}=1901 \mathrm{ Pa}[/tex]

It is therefore 1901-665 not 1245-665

Thanks, it sometimes just requires someone to point out the obvious for you

What are simple fluids?

Simple fluids are fluids that follow Newton's laws of motion and do not have any complex molecular structures or interactions.

What are some examples of simple fluids?

Some examples of simple fluids include water, air, and oil.

What is a simple fluids problem?

A simple fluids problem is a type of scientific problem that involves the study of the behavior and properties of simple fluids, such as their flow, pressure, and density.

What are some real-world applications of simple fluids problems?

Simple fluids problems have numerous applications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and biology. Some examples include designing efficient pipelines, predicting weather patterns, and understanding blood flow in the human body.

How do scientists study simple fluids?

Scientists use various experimental and theoretical methods to study simple fluids, such as conducting experiments in a controlled environment, using mathematical models, and performing computer simulations.