Physics Help: Calculating Breaking Distance with -9000 N Force

• Thread starter emma123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the speaker is a first-year physics student who is struggling with a question involving a force of -9000 N, a mass of 1500 kg, and a velocity of 30 m/s. They are unsure of which formula to use or where to begin, and are seeking help. The expert advises them to use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration, and then use a kinematic equation to solve for distance.
emma123
hi this is my first year in physics and i am already confused on it. I really need help on the following question: "The force of -9000 N is used to stop a 1500 kg car traveling at 30 m/s. What is the breaking distance is needed to bring the car to a halt?" I have no idea which formula to use or where to begin since i don't have the time or acceleration. Please help me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a force and a mass, you can find teh acceleration using Newton's 2nd law.

you already have "v", once you find "a" you can use one of those kinematic equations to find "d".

Thanks A Bunch!

Related to Physics Help: Calculating Breaking Distance with -9000 N Force

1. What is a simple force?

A simple force is a push or pull that acts on an object, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force.

2. How is a simple force different from a complex force?

A simple force is a single force acting on an object, while a complex force is a combination of multiple forces acting on an object.

3. What are some examples of simple forces?

Some examples of simple forces include gravity, friction, and tension.

4. How is the magnitude of a simple force measured?

The magnitude of a simple force is measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or spring scale.

5. Can a simple force change the direction of motion of an object?

Yes, a simple force can change the direction of motion of an object if it is not balanced by an equal and opposite force.