Simple Fourier coefficient exponential

In summary: In fact, you can't choose ##c##, it depends on ##n## and ##g##.You can calculate it from the formulae for ##\cos(n g t)## and ##\cos(m g t)## in terms of ##e^{i n g t}## and ##e^{i m g t}##, and then the integral will be ##\int_0^{2\pi/g} \cos(n g t) \cos(m g t) \, dt = \frac{2 \pi}{g} c \delta_{m,n} .##Also, ##\int_0^{2\pi/g} \sin(n g t) \sin(m g t) \, dt
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I think I am being stupid, I am trying to show that

## \int^{T}_{0} e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} dt = 0 ## [1] if ## n \neq m##
## = T ## if ##n=m##, ##T## the period.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I am using the following ##cos## and ##sin## orthogonal identities:

1) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 sin ( n g x) sin ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##
2) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 cos ( n g x) cos ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##
3) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 sin ( n g x) cos ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} dt = e^i\frac{2\pi(n)t}{T} . e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} ##
(Let ##g=\frac { 2 \pi i}{T} ##)
##= (cos ( g n t) + i sin (gnt) ).(cos ( g m t) - i sin ( g m t))##

So using the orthogonal identities [1] the contribution to [1] from the ##coscos## and ##sinsin## term gives ##2 \delta _{nm} ##, and then from the cross ##sin## and ##cos## terms I am getting

## i \delta_{nm} - i \delta_{nm} = 0 ##.

So I am getting ## 2 \delta _{nm} ##

Which I can see straight off is wrong since I am not dividing by the period to get the coefficient. (independent of it)

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmmhh, I think ##g=\frac{2\pi}{T}##, using the orthogonal relations is good, in fact another way can be calculating directing the integral treating ##i## as a constant, in this way you can see the rersult that is still immediate ...

Ssnow

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

I think I am being stupid, I am trying to show that

## \int^{T}_{0} e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} dt = 0 ## [1] if ## n \neq m##
## = T ## if ##n=m##, ##T## the period.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I am using the following ##cos## and ##sin## orthogonal identities:

1) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 sin ( n g x) sin ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##
2) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 cos ( n g x) cos ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##
3) ##\int^{2 \pi / g}_0 sin ( n g x) cos ( m g x ) dx = \delta_{nm} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} dt = e^i\frac{2\pi(n)t}{T} . e^i\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T} ##
(Let ##g=\frac { 2 \pi i}{T} ##)
##= (cos ( g n t) + i sin (gnt) ).(cos ( g m t) - i sin ( g m t))##

So using the orthogonal identities [1] the contribution to [1] from the ##coscos## and ##sinsin## term gives ##2 \delta _{nm} ##, and then from the cross ##sin## and ##cos## terms I am getting

## i \delta_{nm} - i \delta_{nm} = 0 ##.

So I am getting ## 2 \delta _{nm} ##

Which I can see straight off is wrong since I am not dividing by the period to get the coefficient. (independent of it)

Many thanks in advance.

If ##a \neq 0## we have
$$\int_0^T e^{i a t/T} \, dt = \frac{1}{a} iT \left(1-e^{ia}\right)$$.
Put ##a = 2 \pi (n-m)## and simplify, assuming ##n,m## are unequal integers.

Of course, when ##a=0## the integral is just ##\int_0^T 1 \, dt. ##.

Likes binbagsss
Ssnow said:
mmmhh, I think ##g=\frac{2\pi}{T}##, using the orthogonal relations is good, in fact another way can be calculating directing the integral treating ##i## as a constant, in this way you can see the rersult that is still immediate ...

Ssnow

so where have I gone wrong?

Ray Vickson said:
If ##a \neq 0## we have
$$\int_0^T e^{i a t/T} \, dt = \frac{1}{a} iT \left(1-e^{ia}\right)$$.
Put ##a = 2 \pi (n-m)## and simplify, assuming ##n,m## are unequal integers.

Of course, when ##a=0## the integral is just ##\int_0^T 1 \, dt. ##.

but what is the error in my working anybody please?

binbagsss said:
but what is the error in my working anybody please?

Your equations (1), (2), (3) are incorrect. ##\int_0^{2\pi/g} \cos(n g t) \cos(m g t) \, dt = c \delta_{m,n} ,## but ##c \neq 1##.

1. What is a Simple Fourier coefficient exponential?

A Simple Fourier coefficient exponential is a mathematical expression that represents the amplitude and phase of a periodic function in terms of a series of sinusoidal functions. It is commonly used in signal processing, data analysis, and other fields of science and engineering.

2. How is a Simple Fourier coefficient exponential calculated?

The Simple Fourier coefficient exponential is calculated by taking the inner product of the periodic function with the complex exponential function, which is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal wave. This process is repeated for different frequencies to obtain the amplitude and phase values for each component of the function.

3. What is the significance of the Simple Fourier coefficient exponential in science?

The Simple Fourier coefficient exponential is used to analyze and decompose complex signals and functions into simpler components, making it a powerful tool in various scientific fields. It allows researchers to identify patterns and relationships in data, and is essential in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Simple Fourier coefficient exponential be used for non-periodic functions?

No, the Simple Fourier coefficient exponential is only applicable for periodic functions. However, there are other methods, such as the Fourier transform, that can be used to analyze non-periodic functions.

5. How is the Simple Fourier coefficient exponential related to the Fourier series?

The Simple Fourier coefficient exponential is a simplified version of the Fourier series, which is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies. The Simple Fourier coefficient exponential only considers the amplitude and phase of each component, while the Fourier series also includes a term for the frequency.