How to Calculate Friction Force for a Box Being Dragged on a Level Floor?

• Thread starter zhangster11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a box with a mass of 100kg being dragged across a level floor by a rope at a 30.0 degree angle with a coefficient of friction of .330. The goal was to find the force needed to move the box at a constant velocity. The solution involved creating a body diagram and setting the net horizontal force to equal zero, resulting in an answer of 314nt.
zhangster11

Homework Statement

a box having mass 100kg is dragged across a level floor by means of a rope that makes a 30.0 degree angle with the floor. the coefficient of friction between the box and floor is .330. what force f just be applied to hte rope to move the box along at a constant velocity?
meow

Homework Equations

joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonwooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nhoooooooooooooooooooo

The Attempt at a Solution

i drew a body diagram
x=zcos30-f
y=n-980 +zsin30

z is the force needed to pull the rope

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The box moves at a constant velocity when the force of kinetic friction equals the force of horizontal pull (net horizontal force = 0). You know for this problem that your net normal force is 980 - F*sin(30).

so your force of friction in the negative horizontal direction, plus your Force of pull in the positive horizontal direction must be add to be zero.

[980 - F*sin(30)]*(.330) + F*Cos(30) = 0

Edit* where F = your force of pull

Do you follow the reasoning?

johnwoooooooooooooooo

Last edited:
Also, i think i missed a negative sign

[980 - F*sin(30)]*(.330) - F*Cos(30) = 0

stupid typos heh

yea i got it. my answer is 314nt...is that wat you got joonwoo??

Last edited:
Ya, that is the answer I get as well. The trick to the problem was definitely remembering that Fnet = 0 at constant velocity. That would have probably given you the extra equation you would have needed to not have too many variables

yea thanks for your help jooonwoo !~!@$!#%!

Last edited:
No problem : )

1. What is simple friction?

Simple friction refers to the force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a result of the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that come into contact.

2. How is simple friction different from other types of friction?

Simple friction is different from other types of friction because it is not affected by factors such as the shape, size, or speed of the objects in contact. It is only dependent on the nature of the surfaces and the force pushing them together.

3. What factors affect the amount of simple friction?

The amount of simple friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing them together, and the roughness of the surfaces. It is also affected by the presence of lubricants or adhesives between the surfaces.

4. How is simple friction measured?

Simple friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the force required to overcome the frictional force between two surfaces. The unit of measurement for friction is Newtons (N).

5. How can simple friction be reduced?

Simple friction can be reduced by using lubricants between two surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, or by reducing the force pushing the surfaces together. It can also be reduced by using rollers or ball bearings to minimize the contact area between the surfaces.