Simple Harmonic Motion and time equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes for an object undergoing simple harmonic motion to go from a displacement of 6.05 cm to -1.49 cm, with a period of 0.305 s and amplitude of 6.05 cm. The person providing the summary also points out a mistake in the calculation and clarifies the difference between displacement and x-coordinate.
erik-the-red
Question:

An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with period 0.305 s and amplitude 6.05 cm. At [tex]t=0[/tex] the object is instantaneously at rest at [tex]x=6.05[/tex] cm.

A.
Calculate the time it takes the object to go from [tex]x=6.05[/tex] cm to x = -1.49 cm.

I'm thinking [tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T} = 20.6[/tex] rad/s. If we assume left to be the negative direction, then the [tex]\Delta x = -0.0754[/tex] m.

So, I can use the equation [tex]x = A\cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]. [tex]\phi = 0[/tex].

[tex]-0.0754 = .0605cos(20.6t)[/tex].

But, wait a minute here, this can't possibly be right. If I divide both sides by .0605, then I have cos equaling a magnitude greater than one.

I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is that you set [itex]\Delta x[/itex] equal to [itex]x[/itex]. [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the displacement between the initial and final positions, and [itex]x[/itex] is the [itex]x[/itex]-coordinate of the particle, which they tell you is [itex]-1.49cm[/itex].

Thanks. I guess the problem wasn't as hard as I thought it was.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

What is the equation for SHM?

The equation for SHM is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement from equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the time period of SHM?

The time period of SHM is the time taken for one complete cycle of motion. It is given by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

What factors affect the time period of SHM?

The time period of SHM is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. It is independent of the initial displacement and the presence of any external forces.

What is the relationship between SHM and circular motion?

SHM is closely related to circular motion, as the displacement and velocity can be described by the same equations. The displacement is analogous to the position along the circumference of a circle, while the velocity is analogous to the tangential velocity of a point on the circle.