Simple Harmonic Motion - Floating Object

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a floating object pushed down and released in a fluid with different densities. The problem asks to show that the object exhibits simple harmonic motion with a given angular frequency. The conversation includes equations for buoyancy and acceleration, and through discussion, it is determined that the object is in equilibrium when floating and the displacement of the object causes a restoring force to bring it back to equilibrium. The final equation used is -w^2 = (P(fluid)*g)/(P(block)*h), where w is the angular frequency, P is density, g is gravity, and h is height.
drillman9
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion - Floating Object

Homework Statement

The problem states that an object is pushed down and released. It is floating.

The density is P(block) and the area is A and its height is h
The fluid's density is P(fluid)

The Problem asks to show that it executes simple harmonic motion with angular frequency

w = sqrt( [P(fluid)g] / [P(block)h] )

Homework Equations

I know Fnet=ma=F(buoyancy)=(rho)(g)(V) (rho is P(block) i think)

and a = -w^2 h

and V = Ax (x is the vertical displacement of the block as its pushed down)

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearrange the equation to get

-w^2 = ( [rho g V] / mh )

I know I must be close, but I'm not too sure how to incorporate the P(fluid) and essentially switch rho(block) from the top to the bottom

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fnet = Fb-Fweight, the bouyant force is the mass of displaced water times gravity acting up, so P(fluid)*Vsubmerged*g, weight is mass of block times g, so P(block)*V*g

So yah, the weight of the object is constant, and the position dependency of the whole thing comes in through that volume=A*x part, which is why it oscillates at all. If you don't include the weight the object would merely surface and sit there

Do you see what happens? For your first step you'd have(lower case v is velocity)

m*d^2x/dt^2=P(fluid)*A*x*g-P(block)*V*g, m is P(block)*V so divide through by that on your first step

=P(fluid)*A*x*g/(Pblock*V)-g, and remember that V=h*A and things start falling into place

Last edited:
Ok, so I got through all the cancelling and substitution and here's what I got

x*-w^2 = (Pf*x*g)/(Pb*h) -g from a = x*w^2

and if I divide out I get

-w^2 = (Pf*g)/(Pb*h) -g/x

how do I get rid of that -g/x (exactly what is that?) and the negative in front of the w

Hi drillman9,

When the object is floating, it’s in equilibrium. If it’s pushed down by a dist of x, then the extra vol of fluid displaced is Ax, and the weight of that vol of fluid is d*Ax, where d is density of fluid. The extra buoyant force F now is equal to the weight of this extra fluid displaced. So,

F = -dAx. The minus sign is because F is in opp dircn to x.

Can you do the rest now? You have to find a relationship between the density of object and the density of fluid.

Yes, the equation I used is for when it's not in equilibrium, so it'd be sinking or rising, which was my mistake(so then it's not really oscillating and you can't say a=-w^2*x like I did). The problem, however, says the block IS at equilibrium, and then displaced a little bit.

The above equation SS used needs a g I believe, then it's just what you were doing without the extra incorrect term I had

Also the negative sign, I misused that first equation, it should be just like a spring, it's floating at an equilibrium position, then displaced a little bit, the force is a restoring one acting to return it to the equilibrium position

blochwave said:
The above equation SS used needs a g I believe, then it's just what you were doing without the extra incorrect term I had.

Right you are. Thank you for pointing it out.

...weight of that vol of fluid is d*Ax*g...

F = -gdAx.

Ah yes now its coming together. Thanks for all the help!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - Floating Object

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. How does a floating object exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

A floating object exhibits SHM when it is displaced from its equilibrium position and then released. The buoyant force acting on the object causes it to oscillate up and down, resulting in SHM.

3. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion for a floating object?

The period of SHM for a floating object is affected by the mass, density, and shape of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is floating in.

4. How is the frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion related to its period?

The frequency of SHM is inversely proportional to its period. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of SHM can change over time if there is an external force acting on the object or if the object experiences damping. In ideal conditions, the amplitude remains constant.