Simple Harmonic Motion for a block-spring system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy in a block-spring system in SHM, with a given phase angle and position equation. The solution involves using the equations for potential and kinetic energy and setting the calculator to radians for accuracy.
obxer22

Homework Statement

If the phase angle for a block-spring system in SHM is π/5 rad and the block's position is given x = xm cos(ωt + phi), what is the ratio of the kinetic energy to the potential energy at time t = 0?

Homework Equations

PE = (1/2)*k*[(max amplitude)^2]*cos^2(ωt + phi)
KE = (1/2)*k*[(max amplitude)^2]*sin^2(ωt + phi)

Solve for KE/PE in that form.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took KE and divided by PE, giving sin^2(phi)/cos^2(phi). Plugging in pi/5 for phi gives us 1.20253316E-4/.99987974669. However, the system is saying this is wrong . I do believe that I solved for KE/PE correctly. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you set your calculator to RAD? pi/5 is in radians.

ehild

I knew I was doing it right! my calculator was in degrees...i hate it when that happens...thanks for helping me figure that out!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion for a block-spring system

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where a body moves back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. What is a block-spring system?

A block-spring system is a physical system consisting of a mass (or block) attached to a spring. The spring provides the restoring force that causes the block to undergo Simple Harmonic Motion.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion in a block-spring system?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion in a block-spring system is x(t) = A*cos(ω*t + φ), where x is the displacement of the block from its equilibrium point, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the mass of the block affect Simple Harmonic Motion in a block-spring system?

The mass of the block does not affect the period or frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion, but it does affect the amplitude. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude, while a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude.

5. What factors can affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion in a block-spring system?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion can be affected by the mass of the block, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance.