Simple Harmonic Motion of an earthquake

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving simple harmonic motion caused by an earthquake. A car with four people inside bounces up and down on its suspension springs, but the driver manages to stop. The conversation then goes on to discuss finding the distance the car's undamaged suspension lifts the car's body as the people get out, using equations for mass, period, and spring constant. The final answer is calculated to be 0.078 m.
veloix
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion

Homework Statement

Four people, each with mass of 71.1 kg, are in a car with a mass of 1180 kg. An earthquake strikes. The vertical oscillations of the ground surface make the car bounce up and down on its suspension springs, but the driver manages to pull of the road and stop. When the frequency of the shaking is 1.60 Hz, the car exhibits a maximum amplitude of vibration. The earthquake ends and the four people leave the car as fast as they can. By what distance does the car's undamaged suspension lift the car's body as the people get out?

Homework Equations

x=Acos(wt+phi)
T=1/f
w=sqrt(k/m)
T=2pi/w
or 2pisqrt(k/m)
k= 4pi^2m/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have notice that mass must be all added to together to give a total mass of 1446.4 kg. Then I found the period by T= 1/f=1/1.60=0.625s or is it T= 2pi/w= 2pi/1.60=3.93s, ^anyway from that i used K=4pi^2m/T^2 to come up with k constant k=4pi^2(1446.4)/(0.625)^2= 147999 n/m , i don't know soemthing tells me I am not doing this right i don't how i could go about getting the postion. can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
(w means omega.)

When the driving frequency was f=1.6 Hz, there was resonance, which means w^2= k/m => (2*pi*f)^2 = k/M, where M = mass of car+men.

delta_F = k*delta_x => Mg - weight of men = delta_x, which is what you want.

hmm some calculations i did from this were w^2=k/m (2*pi*1.6)^2=k/1464.4= 147992.264 K= 101.06*1464.4= 147992.264 n/m ok now i tired your equation delta_F=k*delta_x=> Mg-weight of men= delta_x so (1464.4)(9.80)-(71.1*4)= delta x= 14066.72 this was wrong. I also notice what happen to k?

What happened to k was a typo: it should be k*delta_x.

Let's go through the logic once more. The natural frequency of the loaded car must be f =1.6 Hz. That gives us
(2*pi*f)^2 = k/(M+m), where m is the sum of the masses of the four men.

Suppose x1 is the compression when the load is M+m, and x2 when load is M. Then,
(M+m)g – mg = k(x2-x1) => Mg = k*delta_x => delta_x = Mg/[(M+m)(2*pi*f)^2].

(In my last post, I wrote (Mg - wt of men) by mistake.)

I get delta_x as 0.078 m.

Last edited:
thanks man that was right. i got same thing :). I appreicate the help.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) in relation to an earthquake?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of motion where a body experiences a restoring force that is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. In the case of an earthquake, SHM refers to the oscillatory movement of the ground caused by the release of stored energy in the Earth's crust.

How is SHM related to the Richter scale?

The Richter scale is a logarithmic scale that measures the magnitude of an earthquake based on the amplitude of the seismic waves. Since SHM is directly related to the amplitude of motion, it is used to quantify the strength of an earthquake and determine its magnitude on the Richter scale.

What factors affect the SHM of an earthquake?

The SHM of an earthquake is affected by several factors, including the energy released, the type of fault movement, the distance from the epicenter, and the type of soil and rock formations in the affected area. These factors can cause variations in the amplitude, frequency, and duration of the SHM.

How does SHM help us understand earthquake behavior?

By studying the SHM of an earthquake, scientists can gather important data about the earthquake's characteristics, such as its magnitude, frequency, and duration. This information can then be used to understand the underlying causes of earthquakes, predict their behavior, and develop better disaster preparedness and mitigation strategies.

Can SHM be used to predict earthquakes?

While SHM can provide valuable information about an earthquake's characteristics, it is not a reliable method for predicting earthquakes. Earthquakes are complex events that are influenced by a variety of factors, and their occurrence cannot be accurately predicted at this time. However, studying SHM can help scientists better understand the patterns and behavior of earthquakes, which may lead to improved prediction methods in the future.