Simple harmonic motion of two solid cylinders attached to a spring

In summary: The cylinders will continue to oscillate with the same frequency and amplitude, provided that the energy in the system is not dissipated.In summary, the cylinders will oscillate with the same frequency and amplitude for as long as the energy in the system remains intact.
dzidziaud

Homework Statement

) Two uniform, solid cylinders of radius R and total mass M are connected along their common axis by a short, massless rod. They are attached to a spring with force constant k using a frictionless ring around the axle. If the spring is pulled out and released, the cylinders will roll without slipping as they oscillate. Show that the period of their oscillation is T = 2∏√(3M/2k).

Homework Equations

F=-kx
T=2∏sqrt(m/k)
solid cylinder: I=1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Messing around with the equations has gotten me nowhere so far; I've only achieved redundancy by accidentally deriving other equations. The only way I see of making the moment of inertia relevant is by using torque, but trying to use that just has me going in circles (unintentional pun, haha). I'm stuck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy.

I don't understand how that might help. It just seems to add more variables that I don't have.

There is only one variable: the displacement of the cylinders from the equilibrium. Their angular velocity is kinematically related to the linear velocity of that displacement.

The above consideration is applicable without energy, using just forces/torques, but that gets a bit more messier. But see for yourself.

I'm sorry. I'm still totally stuck :(

Let ##x## be the displacement of the axle from the equilibrium. ##v = \dot x##, the time derivative of ##x##, is the velocity of the axle. The cylinders are rolling without slipping. What is their angular velocity ##\omega##? What is the total kinetic energy of the cylinders? What is the potential energy of the spring?

U = 1/2kx^2
KE = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iω^2
ω = v/R

Very well. Now write down the equation for conservation of energy, and get rid of ##\omega## in it.

1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2v^2/R^2

Where is the momentum of inertia?

When corrected, simplify that further.

Oh, whoops, I'm sorry.
1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iv^2/R^2
Is I additive here? Would it simply be MR^2?
That would make the equation simplify to 1/2kx^2 = mv^2.

My interpretation of the problem is that M is the mass of two cylinders, not of one. Which means the equation is $$ \frac 1 2 kx^2 = \frac 1 2 \cdot \frac 3 2 M v^2 $$ Can you convert that to an SHM equation?

YES. I think so. If R=2∏x (which would cancel out the x's and R's and give me the factor of 2∏ that I want on the right side) then I've got it. Is that true? If so, can you explain why?

I do not understand what you are talking about. What R? It is already absent from the equation.

Do you understand what simple harmonic motion means? What is its general equation?

Well, I don't have any equations with v for simple harmonic motion. All I know is F=-kx, which leads to a=(-k/m)x, which gives us ω=√(k/m). I just converted v back to ω, which puts R back into the picture. Is there a simpler way?

What happens if you differentiate both sides of the energy equation (#12) with respect to time?

Related to Simple harmonic motion of two solid cylinders attached to a spring

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position due to a restoring force, such as a spring or gravity.

2. How are two solid cylinders attached to a spring related to simple harmonic motion?

In this setup, the two cylinders are connected by a spring and can move back and forth relative to each other. This motion is considered to be simple harmonic because the restoring force of the spring follows Hooke's law and the motion is periodic.

3. What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion in this setup?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion in this setup is affected by the mass of the cylinders, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude of the motion.

4. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated in this setup?

The period of simple harmonic motion in this setup can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the cylinders, and k is the spring constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion of two solid cylinders attached to a spring?

One example is a simple pendulum, where a small object attached to a string swings back and forth due to gravity. Another example is a mass-spring system, where an object attached to a spring bounces up and down. These systems follow the principles of simple harmonic motion and can be modeled using the setup of two solid cylinders attached to a spring.