Simple Harmonic Motion questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to a simple harmonic oscillator and a cart held between two stretched springs. The first question asks about the kinetic and potential energies at a given displacement and the second question asks about the work required to move the cart, frequency of vibration, and velocity at equilibrium position. The person is struggling to understand the equations and their derivation and is seeking help in solving the problems. However, they mention that they are in high school and do not have a strong understanding of calculus, making it difficult to explain the derivation of the equations.
hadroneater
I have a test soon and I don't get this topic!

Here are two questions I'm having trouble with:

1. A simple harmonic oscillator has total energy of E.
a) Determine the kinetic and potential energies when the displacement is (1/2)A. A = amplitude.
b) For what value of displacement does the kinetic energy equal the potential energy?

2. Please refer to this picture:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1311/shmlh9.jpg

A cart of mass 3 kg is held between two stretched springs as shown. A force of 60N moves the cart 0.10m from its equilibrium position. It's then released and allowed to vibrate.
a) How much work was required to move the cart 0.1m?
b) Calculate the frequency of the vibration.
c) What is the velocity of the cart as it moves through the equilibrium position?

I'm not asking for you to do my hw. I just really don't understand the equations and when to use them and how they're derived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equations for a 1D oscillator? Position is derived from a simple second order differential equation. From there we just take the derivatives to obtain velocity and acceleration.

What specifically don't you understand about the equations?

I take high school physics, which is non-calculus.

Well then it's going to be hard to explain how the equations are derived. Do you know any calculus?

Nevermind about the deriviation. Can someone just explain to me how to solve these equations? I've been given a dozen formulae and I don't know which one to use. We just started this chapter last friday and our teacher is giving us a test on it in less than a few days because he expects us to self-teach.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position. The motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What are the factors that affect the period of SHM?

The period of SHM is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. It is independent of the initial velocity and the mass of the object does not affect the period if the amplitude remains constant.

3. How is the period of SHM related to the frequency?

The period and frequency of SHM are inversely proportional to each other. This means that if the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The relationship can be expressed as T = 1/f, where T is the period in seconds and f is the frequency in hertz.

4. Can SHM occur in any direction?

Yes, SHM can occur in any direction as long as there is a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement. For example, a pendulum oscillates in a circular motion, while a mass attached to a spring oscillates in a linear motion.

5. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement and the motion is periodic. Other types of motion, such as linear motion and rotational motion, may not have a restoring force or may not be periodic in nature.