Simple integration by parts question

In summary, the problem is finding and solving for v when du= 25x. To do this, one would use the chain rule and the derivative of cx.
protivakid
Hello,
The problem I'm working on is X225x. I know you have u = x2 and du = 2x however if dv= 25x then what is v? I know if dv were say e2x than v would be 1/2e2x but for this problem would v simply be 1/5*25x? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there is a simple way to check if v would equal 1/5*2^5x [ it doesn't by the way] and that is take its derivitve.

when taking the deriv. of a exponential, we use this formula:

d3e2c9d91f26f1d22a43b3e6bcd4b6b3.png

Try using that and the chain rule to come up with a better answer

Last edited by a moderator:
So going by that rule v = 25xln(2) right?

Nope. If [tex]v=2^{5x}ln5[/tex], then [tex]dv=2^{5x}(ln5)^{2}dx[/tex]. Then [tex]v[/tex] has to be a function so that if you take the derivative, that [tex]ln5[/tex] cancels out.

well if say I made u 25x would du = 5(2)4xdx? Thank you.

protivakid said:
well if say I made u 25x would du = 5(2)4xdx? Thank you.

Anyone?

There is not much point in posting here if you are not going to pay attention to the responses. You were told that the derivative of cx is ln(c) cx. If u= 25x, then, using the chain rule, du= ln(2)25x(5x)'= ln(2)x 25x.

You might be better of with your initial idea of making dv= 25x. Since the derivative of cx is ln(c) cx, the anti-derivative of ln(c) cx is, of course, cx and, since ln(c) is just a number, the anti-derivative of cx is cx/ln(c). If dv= 25x then v= 25x/(5ln(2))+ C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did get the answer and to the last poster, it's not that I am not reading the advice, it's that I don't completely understand it so I take a shot at what i think it is based on what I got from the advice and then see if I understand it correctly or if I still need help. Thank you all though.

Related to Simple integration by parts question

1. How do you solve a simple integration by parts question?

To solve a simple integration by parts question, you need to use the integration by parts formula, which is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. First, identify the functions u and dv in the given integral. Then, using the formula, find the antiderivative of dv, which will be v. Finally, plug in the values of u, v, and their derivatives into the formula to solve for the integral.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful when you have a product of two functions in the integrand. It is also helpful when the integral cannot be solved using other techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. What is the purpose of integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify an integral by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. It allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods.

4. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. After solving the integral using the integration by parts formula, you can plug in the limits of integration and evaluate the definite integral.

5. Are there any tips for solving integration by parts questions?

One helpful tip for solving integration by parts questions is to choose u and dv in a way that simplifies the integral as much as possible. This often involves choosing u to be the most complicated function, and dv to be the simplest function.