How Do You Solve This Complex Integral Involving Integration by Parts?

In summary, the integral is 2Pi times the integral of (2-y^2)(sqrt(1+4y^2)) dy from 0 to sqrt(2). Using integration by parts, the user attempted to solve it but encountered difficulty with the du term. They believe their method may be incorrect and are seeking assistance in solving the integral.
johnq2k7
Evaluate the integral below:

2Pi times the integral of (2-y^2)(sqrt(1+4y^2)) dy from 0 to sqrt(2)

work shown:

using integration by parts I got:

let u= sqrt(1+4y^2)

therefore du= 4y/(4y^2+1)

let dv= (2-y^2)

therefore V= 2y- y^3/3

since Integration by Parts is (u)(V) - integral of (V)(du)

therefore i got 2*Pi times (sqrt(1+4y^2)(2y-y^3/3) - integral of (2y-y^3/3)(4y/sqrt(4y^2+1)) dy from 0 to sqrt (2)

after evaluating this i keep getting a more completed integration by parts.. and continuous iteration.. please help me solve this integral

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you messed up du.

Dr.D said:
Looks like you messed up du.

i believe my du is correct, even so... i believe my integration by parts method is tedious and it won't result in a solution.. i believe I'm using the wrong method to integrate this equation... please help

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve complex problems that involve continuous change and accumulation. It is also used to model and analyze real-world situations and make predictions based on mathematical models.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The most common methods of integration are the indefinite integral, definite integral, u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Each method has its own specific use and can be applied to different types of integrals.

4. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a series of steps, including identifying the type of integral, choosing an appropriate method, applying the method, simplifying the expression, and evaluating the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Can you show me an example of a simple integration problem?

Sure! Here is an example: ∫(3x² + 2x + 5)dx. Using the power rule, we can rewrite this integral as ∫3x²dx + ∫2xdx + ∫5dx. By applying the power rule, we get x³ + x² + 5x + C as the final answer.