Possible webpage title: What Type of Simple Machine Has an Efficiency of 81.7%?

In summary, a student is asking for their solution to be checked for the efficiency of a simple machine, which they have calculated to be 0.817 or 81.7%. They also wonder if such a low efficiency is possible and what type of simple machine would have this efficiency. The maximum theoretically possible efficiency for a machine is 100%. The student's solution is correct, but they have used a nonstandard value for the acceleration due to gravity.
scientist

Homework Statement

Could I please have a tutor check my answer and solution?

question: An effort of 3 kN is required to move a mass of 2000 kg in a certain simple machine. If the mass is raised 1.5 meters while the effort moves 12 meters, find the efficiency?

2. equations used in solution:

work output = load x distance moved by load
work input = effort x distance moved by effort
efficiency = work output / work input
3kN = 3000 Newtons

The Attempt at a Solution

my solution:

mass = 2000 kg =19613.3 Newtons x 1.5 meters /

3000 Newtons x 12 meters

effort = 29419.95 Nm / 353039.4 Nm

= 0.817

Now, is it possible to have such a low efficiency in a machine? What simple machine would this be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scientist said:

mass = 2000 kg =19613.3 Newtons x 1.5 meters /

3000 Newtons x 12 meters

effort = 29419.95 Nm / 353039.4 Nm

= 0.817
Your solution is correct, although you seemed to have used a nonstandard value for the acceleration due to gravity.
scientist said:
Now, is it possible to have such a low efficiency in a machine? What simple machine would this be?
Why do you think that this efficiency is low? What is the maximum theoretically possible efficiency?

Which nonstandard value did I use?

Why do you think that this efficiency is low? What is the maximum theoretically possible efficiency? The maximum theoretically possible efficiency would be 100%.

I think the efficiency is low because we have a number of .817.The efficiency of any machine depends upon the amount of friction and air resistance present. A frictionless machine would have an efficiency of 100%. Here we have .817 for efficiency, so we must have a lot friction or air resistance.

scientist said:
Which nonstandard value did I use?
You used g = 9.80665, which is indeed the standard acceleration due to gravity; however, g is more commonly approximated to 9.81 since the actual value of g varies greatly depending on location. It is not a serious problem though.
scientist said:
The maximum theoretically possible efficiency would be 100%.
I think the efficiency is low because we have a number of .817
Note here, that 0.817 is not a percentage efficiency.

Ok, the percentage efficiency is 81.7%. How can I find out what kind of simple machine this would be?

scientist said:
Ok, the percentage efficiency is 81.7%. How can I find out what kind of simple machine this would be?
Correct. Consider what type of machine/system would operate in such a way?
scientist said:
An effort of 3 kN is required to move a mass of 2000 kg in a certain simple machine. If the mass is raised 1.5 meters while the effort moves 12 meters[...]

What is a simple machine?

A simple machine is a mechanical device that can change the direction or magnitude of a force, making it easier to perform work. Examples of simple machines include levers, pulleys, and inclined planes.

How is efficiency defined for a simple machine?

Efficiency is a measure of how well a simple machine converts input energy into output work. It is calculated by dividing the output work by the input energy and multiplying by 100%.

What factors affect the efficiency of a simple machine?

The efficiency of a simple machine can be affected by factors such as friction, the material it is made of, and the design of the machine. Higher levels of friction or less rigid materials can decrease efficiency.

How can the efficiency of a simple machine be improved?

The efficiency of a simple machine can be improved by reducing friction through lubrication, using stronger materials, or optimizing the design to minimize energy losses.

What is the importance of understanding simple machine efficiency?

Understanding simple machine efficiency is important for engineers and scientists to design and improve machines for practical use. It also helps us understand the principles of work and energy and how they are applied in various mechanical systems.