Simple Mechanics confusing me:S

In summary, the conversation discusses a boy whirling a stone in a horizontal circle, the string breaking and the stone traveling a horizontal distance of 10 m. The question is how to find the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the stone in circular motion. The suggested method is to use the kinematics of projectile motion to find the initial speed of the stone and then use that speed to calculate the centripetal acceleration. The conversation also mentions using the equation V^2=u^2 + 2as and finding the time it takes for the object to fall to calculate the horizontal speed. The final answer is found by working out the time.
brandon26
A boy whirls a stone in a horizontal circle of radius 1.2 m and at height 1.7 m above ground level. The string breaks, and the stone flies horizontally and strikes the ground after traveling a horizontal distance of 10 m. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the stone while in circular motion?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the kinematics of projectile motion to find the initial speed of the stone. Then use that speed to calculate the centripetal acceleration.

Doc Al said:
Use the kinematics of projectile motion to find the initial speed of the stone. Then use that speed to calculate the centripetal acceleration.

yes, I used V^2=u^2 + 2as , where V=0 and u is the speed to be found. But the answer comes out wrong.

Try finding the time it takes for the object to fall. Then use that time to calculate the horizontal speed.

Wicked. Got the answer right by working out the time. Thanx.
PS. i got the firwst answer wrong because I assumed that V= o , but that was false

Related to Simple Mechanics confusing me:S

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

3. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How do I calculate work?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.