1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Mechanics confusing me:S

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    A boy whirls a stone in a horizontal circle of radius 1.2 m and at height 1.7 m above ground level. The string breaks, and the stone flies horizontally and strikes the ground after traveling a horizontal distance of 10 m. What is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of the stone while in circular motion?

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use the kinematics of projectile motion to find the initial speed of the stone. Then use that speed to calculate the centripetal acceleration.

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    yes, I used V^2=u^2 + 2as , where V=0 and u is the speed to be found. But the answer comes out wrong.

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Try finding the time it takes for the object to fall. Then use that time to calculate the horizontal speed.

6. Sep 25, 2005 #5
    Wicked. Got the answer right by working out the time. Thanx.
    PS. i got the firwst answer wrong because I assumed that V= o , but that was false

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?