Simple Moments Question with a Chest of Draws

• Thread starter xxJaRxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary: The top drawer is the only one that can do that.In summary, the height of the drawer does have an impact on when the chest of drawers will tip over, as the top drawer is the only one that can rotate enough to move the center of mass to the left of the vertical line extended from the "tipping point". This is because the whole body will topple if the position of the center of gravity lies to the left of the tipping point, and the top drawer is the only one that can contribute enough weight to achieve this.
xxJaRxx
Hello,

My friend and I have been having a discussion about moments (when applied to a chest of draws).

The argument is; if the weight in each draw is the same, and anyone draw is opened fully, will a draw higher up be more likely to cause the chest of draws to tip forwards, or are they all the same? For example, I have the same heavy weight in all draws of my chest of draws, I open the bottom draw fully, it does not tip over so I close it, I then open the top draw... the same thing should happen right and it should not tip? Because in terms of moments, the weight vertically down is exactly the same in both cases and the horizontal distance from the pivot point to end of the draw is also the same in both cases?

Assuming we ignore the force of pulling on the draw, which would add a force in a different direction.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i think you mean drawers not draws.
i think it depends on the pivot point. if its in the middle, then yes, won't tip over. but if below middle then may or may not tip over.

You are correct, I mean drawers.

Surely the pivot point will always be the same? The pivot point will be the front edge of the chest of drawers, that is on the floor. So when it tips there is a moment around this point. It could be thought of as a 'hinge' like on a door.

Anyone have an answer? I have drawn a pretty picture to convey my opinion and theory behind it.

Summary of the question - does the height of the drawer have any impact on the point where it tips, if all the weight is equal and only one drawer is open at a time?

Attachments

• Moments of a Chest of Drawers.png
    Moments of a Chest of Drawers.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 571
Hello JaR, welcome to Physics Forums.

I would have thought this question would have attracted more attention in the general physics section, it is after all a physics question, not a maths one.

That said your general approach is sound.

A couple of small points arise though.

The downward force offered by the drawer acts through the centre of gravity of the extended part of the drawer, not at its extremity. For a uniform section drawer this is at its midpoint.

So when it tips there is a moment around this point

An open drawer always exerts a moment about this point. Until tipping this is counterbalanced by the moment of the weight of the chest frame acting through its centre of gravity

Thanks Studiot.. so the drawer exerts a moment around its centre of gravity, not the pivot point of the chest of drawers (indicated by the blue dot)?

Can you possibly answer the question; does the height of the drawer have any impact on when the chest of drawers tips, if all the weight is equal and only one drawer is open at a time?

so the drawer exerts a moment around its centre of gravity, not the pivot point of the chest of drawers

Not exactly. A force always exerts amoment about any point or line that its line of action does not pass through.

There are two ways to attack this question. They lead to equivalent equations.

With regard to the attachment and regards the chest of drawers with one drawer open as a single rigid body. For simplicity assume that it has uniform density.

ABCD represents the frame of the chest.
We are considering tipping about the line AD.

When one drawer (EFILGH) is open it is divided into two parts by the line AD.
These parts are EFGH and FILG.

An empty space IJKL is left behind by the opening of the drawer.

One approach is to note that the whole body (with drawer open) ABCDGHEF will topple if the position of the centre of gravity lies to the left of AD and not otherwise.

So you can calculate the potition of the CofG for the two cases with upper and lower drawers open by dividing the whole into rectangles and calculating the contributions to the centre of gravity.

Alternatively (but equivalently) you can take moments about AD and use the condition that for toppling

W1 *GH > (W2*GL + W3*AB + W4*JM + W5*DC)

(I have multiplied by 2 throughout here to remove the factors of a half in the distances)

Attachments

• topple.jpg
    topple.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 471
The chest tips over when the center of mass is moved to the left of the vertical line extended from the "tipping point" The bottom drawer cannot "rotate" the chest through an angle great enough to tip the chest. Therefore it must be a drawer that can rotate enough to move the center of mass to the left of the vertical.

1. What is a "Simple Moments Question with a Chest of Draws"?

A "Simple Moments Question with a Chest of Draws" is a type of scientific experiment or study that involves observing and analyzing everyday moments or events using a chest of drawers as a tool. This approach allows for a unique perspective on human behavior and can provide valuable insights into our daily lives.

2. How is a chest of drawers used in this type of experiment?

In this type of experiment, a chest of drawers is used as a tool or prop to create a simple and controlled environment for observing and analyzing human behavior. The drawers can be used to store various objects or stimuli and can also be manipulated to test different scenarios or scenarios.

3. What are the benefits of using a chest of drawers in a "Simple Moments Question" experiment?

Using a chest of drawers in this type of experiment allows for a more controlled and structured approach to studying human behavior. It also provides a familiar and relatable setting for participants, which can lead to more authentic and natural responses. Additionally, the use of a chest of drawers allows for easy replication of the experiment by other researchers.

4. What types of questions can be explored using a "Simple Moments Question with a Chest of Draws" approach?

This approach can be used to explore a wide range of questions related to human behavior and decision-making. For example, researchers may use the chest of drawers to study how individuals make choices or organize their daily lives. It can also be used to examine social interactions, such as how people interact with objects or other individuals in a shared space.

5. What are some potential limitations of using a chest of drawers in this type of experiment?

One potential limitation of using a chest of drawers in this type of experiment is that it may not accurately reflect real-life situations. Participants may behave differently when they know they are being observed or when they are in an artificial environment. Additionally, the use of a chest of drawers may not be suitable for all research questions and may not be applicable to all populations.