Simple pH Problem (If I could remember)

• Thread starter negatifzeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pH of a solution containing a mixture of sodium acetate and acetic acid, as well as the effect of adding NaOH to this solution. The Henderson-Hasselbach equation is mentioned, and it is clarified that there is only one pKa value for acetic acid, making it easier to calculate the pH of the solution. The person is unsure of how to proceed with the problem.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

If one mixed 100mL of .1M Sodium acetate with 100 mL of .1M acetic acid, the pH of the solution would be 4.7 If 60 mL of .1M NaOH were added to this solution, what would be it's pH?

Homework Equations

Henderson Hasselback
pH=pKa+ log(base/acid)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really made one because I'm not sure how to proceed. The thing that really confuses me is the pKa part of henderson-hasselbach. When we are dealing with solutions having more more than one pkA, which pkA do we use? I know I did a ton of these problems in Gen Chem but can't remember how!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's only one thing (ignoring water) that has a pKa: the acetic acid. Since acetic acid is monoprotic, it has only one pKa.

Related to Simple pH Problem (If I could remember)

1. What is pH?

pH is a measure of how acidic or basic a solution is. It is a scale from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 14 being the most basic, and 7 being neutral.

2. How is pH measured?

pH is measured using a pH meter or pH strips. The pH meter measures the voltage of a solution and converts it to pH, while pH strips change color to indicate the pH level.

3. What is a simple pH problem?

A simple pH problem is a question that asks you to calculate the pH of a solution based on the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) or hydroxide ions (OH-) present in the solution.

4. How do you solve a simple pH problem?

To solve a simple pH problem, you need to know the concentration of H+ or OH- in the solution and use the pH formula: pH = -log[H+]. If the concentration of OH- is given, you can use the pOH formula: pOH = -log[OH-].

5. Why is pH important?

pH is important because it affects many chemical and biological processes. For example, our body has a specific pH range that needs to be maintained for proper functioning. Changes in pH can also impact the environment and the health of plants and animals.