1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple probability doubt

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

This is not a homework question, but I think it's reasonable to post it here.
    Say, for a Markov process, [itex]Pr(Z_{i+1}|Z_{i},...,Z_0) = Pr(Z_{i+1}|Z_{i},Z_{i-1})[/itex], people prove that if we consider [itex]V_{i} = (Z_{i+1},Z_{i},Z_{i-1})[/itex], it would be a 1st-order Markov process, i.e. [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},...,V_0) = Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i})[/itex].

However if [itex]V_{i} = (*,0,0)[/itex] and [itex]V_{i-1} = (1, 0, *)[/itex], then [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1}) = 0[/itex], while if [itex]V_{i-1} = (0, 0, *)[/itex] then [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1})[/itex] may be non-zero. That is, it's not really reducible to the 1st-order. I understand that in a sense, the former case is rather invalid, as [itex]Pr(V_{i} = (*, 0, 0) | V_{i-1} = (1,0,*) ) = 0[/itex]. Yet it seems not very reasonable to me to neglect the case when it comes to [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1})[/itex], as the variables can take in any possible value.

Did I miss something?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?