Understanding Markov Processes and the Impact of Varying Variables

In summary, simple probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring and is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, while experimental probability is based on actual results. A sample space is the set of all possible outcomes in an experiment, and simple probability is used in various real-life situations to predict outcomes and make informed decisions.
hikaru1221
Hi all,

This is not a homework question, but I think it's reasonable to post it here.
Say, for a Markov process, [itex]Pr(Z_{i+1}|Z_{i},...,Z_0) = Pr(Z_{i+1}|Z_{i},Z_{i-1})[/itex], people prove that if we consider [itex]V_{i} = (Z_{i+1},Z_{i},Z_{i-1})[/itex], it would be a 1st-order Markov process, i.e. [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},...,V_0) = Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i})[/itex].

However if [itex]V_{i} = (*,0,0)[/itex] and [itex]V_{i-1} = (1, 0, *)[/itex], then [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1}) = 0[/itex], while if [itex]V_{i-1} = (0, 0, *)[/itex] then [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1})[/itex] may be non-zero. That is, it's not really reducible to the 1st-order. I understand that in a sense, the former case is rather invalid, as [itex]Pr(V_{i} = (*, 0, 0) | V_{i-1} = (1,0,*) ) = 0[/itex]. Yet it seems not very reasonable to me to neglect the case when it comes to [itex]Pr(V_{i+1}|V_{i},V_{i-1})[/itex], as the variables can take in any possible value.

Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. It is true that in the case of V_{i} = (*,0,0) and V_{i-1} = (1,0,*), the probability of V_{i+1} given V_{i} and V_{i-1} is 0. This is because the Markov property assumes that the future state only depends on the current state, and in this case, the current state has no influence on the future state.

However, this does not mean that this case should be neglected. In fact, it is important to consider all possible cases and their probabilities in order to fully understand and analyze a Markov process. This includes the case of V_{i-1} = (0,0,*), where the probability of V_{i+1} given V_{i} and V_{i-1} may be non-zero.

It is also worth noting that while the Markov property assumes that the future state only depends on the current state, this does not mean that the current state is the only factor influencing the future state. Other external factors may also have an impact, and it is important to consider them in the analysis of a Markov process.

In summary, the case of V_{i} = (*,0,0) and V_{i-1} = (1,0,*) should not be neglected, but it should also be understood in the context of the Markov property and other external factors that may influence the process. I hope this helps clarify your understanding.

1. What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a basic concept in statistics and is used to help predict the chances of a particular outcome in a random experiment.

2. How do you calculate simple probability?

To calculate simple probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. The result will be a decimal or fraction between 0 and 1, which can then be converted to a percentage to represent the likelihood of the event occurring.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the expected probability of an event occurring, based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is the probability that is calculated from actual results of an experiment or observation.

4. What is a sample space in probability?

In probability, a sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment. It includes all the possible outcomes, whether they are likely or not. This is used to determine the total number of possible outcomes in order to calculate simple probability.

5. How is simple probability used in real life?

Simple probability is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as predicting the chances of winning a game, the likelihood of an event occurring, or the probability of experiencing a certain outcome. It is also used in fields such as finance, insurance, and medicine to make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain events happening.